Awning Window Operator

A quick learner from Oregon says:
I think I need a 39-070. Client's outer (sash) pivots are approx 10-1/2" apart, outer links are about 6", inner links are 9-1/2-10" long, pivot to pivot.

It's not obvious how to access the operator mechanism & mounting- it looks kinda like you have to pop the cover off with a skinny pry bar- then all will be revealed. Based on earlier replies, it sounds like the sash bar can be removed from 2 sash brackets.

The client actually has the architectural dwgs from 50+ years ago- the window callout is Anderson.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230605_132838267_HDR.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230605_132846443.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230605_133305126.jpg
I came across your video, https://www.swisco.com/videos/view210, which seems to show the replacement process, including answering my question about what has to be removed to R&R the operating mechanism, using a skinny pry bar, aka 90 Degree Angle Prybar/Scraper, Product Code: 75-081
Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for posting,

I agree that the operator resembles the style of the 39-070. As long as all dimensions match up, this operator should be a good replacement option. Please review the video below for installation tips and let us know if you have any additional questions! 

Dimensions for 39-070
Dimensions for 39-070

Removal & Replacement went very smoothly, 2 in less than an hour, including dealing with recalcitrant screens. The video showed leaving the original nails in the operator cover and re-driving them into their previous holes. I found the tips didn't line up with the holes because the nails were driven at an angle. Bending them to line up with the holes made the second installation go more smoothly. When tapping the cover into place, I used my "stiff putty knife" between my hammer and the cover, which minimized scarring.

The screens were about 1/16 oversize, which made them very difficult to R&R, so the client asked me to shave the front lip of the screen groove with a Surform plane. That required re-staining, but we felt it was worth the effort.
Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your feedback and we are happy to hear that your repair went smoothly! 

How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.