BROKEN STUCK COIL BALANCE

A home owner from HILLSBOROUGH, NJ says:
Hello,

I hope you can help advise me. I have BF Rich Cabernet windows.

I found my bathroom window coil spring (right side) broken after my painter finished the bathroom. The window was operating fine prior to the painting. Obviously the bathroom window is one of the most essential windows to constantly open and close.

The metal coil spring is just sitting there on top of the pivot shoe. It is evident that it snapped off on one end so it is no longer housed inside the balance support. Since it cannot uncoil, there is no tension or resistance on the way down, and no spring action/recoil on the way up.

I researched your site, and I am trying to understand all the parts to the best of my ability. I watched your site's video "How to replace a coil spring."

The following are my problems:

-There is no way I can snap out the coil, balance support or the pivot shoe. I tried numerous times and I cannot get them out at all. The opening in the channel is too narrow, so they are permanently held in that space. My balance support is closed at the top. When watching the video I thought it would be so easy to remove (pop out) and pieces with a screw driver, but it's not.

-I cannot afford to purchase the window jam spreaders mentioned in another video.

-I have no clue what parts I need or what part the coil actually attaches to. It looks as if the coil is attached in the pivot shoe... Am I correct?

-Even if I were able to purchase parts, I still have the problem of not being able to remove the existing parts without cracking the window frame and ruining the window.

I was not able to measure the coil width or view any numbers on it as I can't remove it. I cannot bring the pivot shoe up close to the plastic balance support as demonstrated in the video because the entire coil is in the way. My balance support is closed at the top and immovable. There also is a screw in the window frame directly underneath the balance support that sticks out about 1/8". My photos show some markings/numbers on the balance support.

Thank you... Any advise at all will be most appreciated! KATHLEEN
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Cover
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pat# 5 365 638
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Springs
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil balance Assembly
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe & Coil Balance
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for reaching out to us! We do have another method you can use to remove the balance shoe from the window but it would involve making cutouts in the frame of the window. Take a look at the video below for a tutorial on how to make the cutouts in the window.

Your pivot shoe looks like it could be the 17/32" Thick 15-228 Pivot Shoe. Once you have the shoe removed from the sash, you'll need to carefully review and compare the dimensions to your existing shoe.

Dimensions for 15-228
Dimensions for 15-228

This shoe is most often used with the 1/2" wide Series 160 Coil Balance but to determine if this is the right replacement, you'll need to be sure to measure the width of your coil. If it is 3/8" wide, you'll need the Series 165 Coil Balance.

Once you've confirmed the series you need, you'll need to look for any stamps/markings on the metal coil. These are used to determine the spring strength needed from your window. If there aren't any markings, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of the sash and divide it by the number of coils in the window. This number will give you the spring strength, in pounds, needed for your window.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions  you might have.

A home owner from HILLSBOROUGH, NJ says:
Hello Jasmine.
Thank you so much for your prompt detailed advice. I greatly appreciate your response.
I viewed the provided video regarding the "cut-out" system. I do not think I can muster the courage to do that!!
I do thank you again for all your help and detailed explanation.
Regards, Kathleen
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Kathleen,

It was my pleasure to assist and I understand. If you know anyone that would be willing to help you complete the project for your, it might be helpful to show them the video.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions you might have.

Have a great day!

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.