Balance spring 18-3

A handy person from Washington says:
I'm trying to find a replacement window balance spring for an Atrium window installed around 2010. It is stamped 18 3. The aluminum channel measures 18" long. I know how to remove and install the balance spring. I just need to find a replacement. I've found a Caldwell brand on Amazon with the same stamp. Just not sure if it will work or if I can locate an original Atrium part.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance stamp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance shoe wheel
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance top
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top fitting side
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We can supply your replacement balances but it will need to be a custom order due to the length, extended travel pulley system and unique combination of end attachments. Before we get started, we'll need to see a clear photo of the metal pulley clip to identify the correct replacement. 

Also, keep in mind that the stamp code only indicates the strength of the spring but not the correct replacement. Lastly, please note that the minimum order for these balances would be two since it is important to replace both sides at the same time to avoid potential damage. Thank you. 

Okay. I am sending more pictures. I hope you are able to see what you need from them. One thing that I've noticed is that I need to use two hands when lifting the window so that it lifts evenly on both sides. Otherwise it doesn't seem to catch both balance springs. It almost feels like there's too much slop between the window and the frame allowing the window to tilt too much to one side, which makes the spring fall out the other side. I guess I'm wondering if a different design of balance spring would work better than the originals?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance clip
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Take out clip
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel balance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance top
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance removal
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us with your additional photos. We just sent over an order link and price quote for you to review. 

We do not generally recommend replacing the original balances with a different style since the window manufacturer chooses the balances for each window based on a variety of factors. I'd recommend carefully looking over all of the window hardware to see if any other damaged parts could be contributing to the problem. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. 

One more question before I order the replacement parts from you... can you take a look at these plastic parts that attach to the window itself? Do they look like they are in original condition or are they broken?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top of guide
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Front of guide
Profile picture of Casey

Your photos resemble the 18-171 top sash guide. I don't see any obvious damage but feel free to remove your part from the window to confirm that it matches the specifications below. 

Alternate image for 18-171
Alternate image for 18-171

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.