Balance spring broke through top of window frame.

A handy person from Santa Clarita, CA says:
I have a single-hung spring-loaded window installed on our house built in 2003 by Western Pacific Housing, a division of DR Horton. The window was manufactured by Pacific Windows Corporation. The balance spring broke through the top of the window frame on the right-hand side. Both take out clips are also gone. The sliding part of the window measures 33 1/4 " by 34 3/4". The stamps on the balance springs seem to read 33 3 OD.

Please advise on how to repair this window. I need new balance springs and clips, but what about the sliding part of the window...does that also need to be replaced?

Thanks,

Art
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PACIFIC WINDOW Corporation
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7656.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7657.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7658.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7659.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Art.

We appreciate you reaching out to us. I'm afraid I can't ID your balances from these photos alone. I would need to see clear photos of the top and bottom fittings in order to determine your replacement options. 

It does look like your sash may need to be replaced. I'm afraid we don't sell replacement sashes so you would need to contact the original manufacturer or supplier of the window for assistance. 

I have added photos of the top and bottom fittings as you requested. As for the sash, what do I do if the original manufacturer is no longer in business?

Thanks,

Art
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7663.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7664.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7665.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7666.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for the additional photos! You have our S380-34 or S385-34 with the 3330 option depending on the depth of the bottom fitting. Measure as shown in the image below to see which one is the best match. 

If the manufacturer is no longer in business, your best bet would be to contact a local sash fabricator.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

I measured the depth of the bottom fitting with digital calipers and it comes out to 1.09" (which translates roughly into 1 3/32"). This appears to be your S385-34. I'm impressed. Two different models have a difference of only 3/32"?

I will need two of them so that both sides are new.

Also, I reached out to the original builder's warranty service department to see what they recommend for the sash. I wish home builders were more like automobile manufacturers where they have a parts department. Wouldn't that be nice?

Thanks,

Art
Profile picture of Emily

Yes, that's correct. All orders can be placed directly on our website at your convenience. 

And it would indeed be nice! It'd certainly make our lives easier that's for sure. 

I have one final question before ordering. Which "option" do I choose? The stamp on my balance springs says 33 3. Would this be your 3330 option or do I have to weigh the sash?

Btw - if I want to replace the broken sash I have to replace the entire window. I will repair it with construction adhesive/epoxy.
Profile picture of Emily

Yes, based on the 33 3 stamp on the metal channel, you would want to select the 3330 spring strength option. 

I just ordered the balance springs, but I forgot to order the take out clips. Which clips do you recommend for my window? They were metal and about an inch long.
Profile picture of Emily

Sure, my recommendation would be the 16-002 take out clip. 

Great! I just ordered them, too. Thank you so much for your help!

Art
Profile picture of Emily

My pleasure, Art! Thank you for your order, we really appreciate it. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance and I'd be happy to help! 

The deeper I dig the more damage I find. When I removed the sash I found these inserts at the top of each side. The balance spring broke clean through the one on the right. I need two of these.

Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7681.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7682.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

According to our records, this top sash guide is no longer available but we do have an alternative option. I recommend taking a look at the 18-171. You'll notice this has a much taller top so you'll need to trim it down to size. Take a look and see what you think. 

I have tools and I can trim. Hopefully they will fit into the side channels of my sash. I imagine they are standard dimensions and should fit into most channels.
Profile picture of Emily

Dimensions can be found on the 18-171's store page but I have also uploaded them here for you to review.

Alternate image for 18-171
Alternate image for 18-171

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.