Block and Tackle Balance

A home owner from NH says:
Series 796 channel balance. I need 2 of these. Stamp on the ones now are 22-5. This is a 23" channel but I don't know what spring strength to order based on the stamp. Also, what is the difference between a closed am and open cam? Pictures look the same?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230510_065142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230510_065136.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

The balance shown in your photos is too damaged to identify but I suspect that you may not need the S795 based on your length and code stamped on the metal channel. If you could remove an intact balance assembly from one of your windows to show us, we'd be happy to confirm the correct replacement and strength option needed for your repair. Thank you! 

Hi. The 2 balances I need are for an upper sash. I removed a lower sash balance and took some detailed pictures. They are the same except for the length. The balances in the upper sash that I need are 23" long. The ones in these pictured from the lower sash are a different length. Can you help?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230521_101905.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230521_101915.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230521_101928.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230521_101934.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230521_101949.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks! These photos are a big help. based on what you show here, I am more confident than ever that our Series 795 is the balance you want for the job. The only major difference is that the bottom shoe has an open cam, rather than the closed cam that comes with our assembly by default. Therefore you will need to purchase the 15-195B open cam shoe separately and swap them out once you get them. They just pop on and off, so it is very easy to change them.

As for the upper sash being different, that's not uncommon. Sometimes the top sash is shorter or taller than the bottom sash. If you have any doubt, you will need to remove and measure the balances in each such case just to be 100% sure.

Thank you so much. For the balance, how do I know which option to choose?
Profile picture of Casey

Your old stamp typically matches our modern 23E, but if I were you, I would weigh the sash on a scale to be 100% sure. Two balances with a 23E option carry 24 though 27 pounds. As long as your potion falls in that range then it will work perfectly well.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.