Block and Tackle replacement Balances for Sash Window

A quick learner from Yuma, Az says:

Our window won't stay open, and noticed the cords in one if the block and tackle balances had broken.

I removed the window and the part reads 20-9 HA2 CMC 5.

Looking at the pictures on your website it most closely resembles the S380 . However, I'm unsure about the weight, if I understand the 9 should relate to the sash weight which indicates I order the 1920. But the saw alone weighs 34 lbs, so if I assume each side of the balance takes 1/2 the load shouldn't I use the 1940 part?

I would appreciate help, I have pictures of the parts if it helps.

Minerva

Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! It is likely that these balances will need to be a custom made assembly given the sash weight. Therefore to confirm the best possible replacement, I'll need to see a photo of the balance, removed from the window. I am specifically looking to see the top and bottom attachments.

Also, I would suggest double checking the length of the balance, from metal to metal only. The stamp you have indicates that this should be 21". Please also confirm the depth (front to back measurement) of the bottom shoe.

Once we have a better idea of the balance you need, we'll be able to guide you in the right direction for the stamp. 

A quick learner from Yuma, Az says:

Attached are the photos, the number stamped is 20 - 9, but measured on the side the length is actually 21.

Minerva

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9110.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9109.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9112.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9115.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9114.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for confirming this information. Although, I still need to know the depth measurement of the bottom shoe to confirm that the S380-21 is the best possible replacement. It'll be important to confirm that this measurement as these balances will need to be a custom assembly, given that the sash weighs 34lbs. To confirm, take a look at the diagram below for reference.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

I'll also need to know the exact number of balances you intend to purchase. There is an order minimum of (2) balances per custom balance.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.