Broken Mortise Lock around top and bottom screws/latch is not locking

A home owner from Sierra madre says:
The toggle is not moving the lock to latch anymore. It also appears the mortise lock top and bottom have partly broken off. I can't find a mortise lock that matches these measurements. It appears to be a Legacy handle set.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sldoor1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sldoor2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sldoor3.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. The handle set does indeed look like a Legacy type; however, all of our Legacy replacement handle sets have an offset thumb lever, meaning the thumb lever is closer to the bottom screw hole on the pull rather than perfectly centered between them. Yours is centered. Because of this, I suggest instead our 82-030 or keyed 82-030A. I'm afraid neither of these come in a brass finish, but they will work for you. Take a look and see what you think.

All that aside, you might want to make sure the handle set is even damaged--this all might be due to the mortise lock being broken. Remove the handle set and inspect the tailpiece on the thumb lever for any damage. Try manually 'throwing' the mortise lock with a slotted screwdriver. If it doesn't budge, then you know the mortise lock was the culprit the entire time. 

Your mortise lock is unusual because it looks like the door originally used one with a larger, recessed face plate, but at some point it was replaced with a lock that doesn't have this--that's why you have those two mounting holes above the recess where the lock is that don't seem to be doing anything. Check out our 82-229. This has the same body of your exisitng mortise lock, but it has the face plate I'm describing. Review the dimensions and see if you think it would fit, and if the mounting holes on the face plate match those on the door. Let me know what you find, or if you have further questions about any of this.

Alternate view of 82-229
Alternate view of 82-229
Alternate image for 82-229
Alternate image for 82-229

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.