Casement Operator Help

A handy person from Rochester NH USA says:

Looking for two left hand crank left from looking out double casement. hand cranks for Hurd casement windows 1988 cranks only just the section only in picture 07900 Wright. The picture is the of the right. Thanks

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2930.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2929.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I suspect this is either the 39-388 or its opposite-handed counterpart, the 39-387. Review the diagram below and see if this type matches what you have. For a compatible crank handle, go with the 39-114L.

Dimensions for 39-388
Dimensions for 39-388

I have a curve on my existing one, will the one you showed work?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2931.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2930.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2929.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2937.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2938.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid I don't see the curve you're talking about. Referring to your photos, I don't see any particular detail that sticks out as disqualifying. Can you specify why exactly the 39-388 and 39-387 won't work?

A quick learner says:

I bought two cranks, it's 1/2 too long, the 3.5 " is correct, need the other length 1/2 shorter or 4 1/4 not 4 3/4. In the picture , I took a measurement from the top right hole on each to the swing pin, again difference 1/2" Do you have a number on this so I can order right and left of each, thanks Bill

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3004.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to us, Bill. Unfortunately, we don't have a version of this operator with a gear arm that's shorter than 4-3/4". This appears to be the only size currently available. To be perfectly honest, I've never encountered a shorter version. It's rare that the gear arm length is the issue, usually it's the link arm. 

Either way, at this time the 39-388 and 39-387 remain the best and only replacement options we can supply for this design. I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

A quick learner from Rochester NH says:
Hi Bob,

I was about order another one but wanted to check with you first, Please compare 39-317 39-318 with the 39-387 and 39-388, it looks like this is the length I need. Its a different company Truth, but will it work, its only a difference of 1/8" from what I measured. The Wright is 4 3/4 this is 4 3/8"
Profile picture of Bob

The 39-317 and 39-318 have another major difference, which is that the link arm is riveted below the gear arm, rather than above it like on the 39-387 and 39-388. That may not seem like a big difference but it does affect how the link arm aligns with the bracket it must connect to on the sash. If it can't connect to that bracket, it won't be able to function properly.

Hi Bob, thanks for the info, even if I could reverse the connection upside down not sure if it would stay clipped on, thanks for checking, wright must of discontinued that one. That's a bummer
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.