Can't remove the patio door sliding panel

A home owner from Secane, PA says:

I just purchased a shore home and the slider does not work smoothly. Thinking the track and rollers need cleaning or replacing. I have lowered the rollers but lifting the door to swing out the bottom doesn't go high enough into the top track due to the ivory colored piece seen in the photo. There is also one at the bottom. The weather strip appears to also be attached to this piece. Is this piece removeable and how without breaking it. I have not found any labels or markings as to the door manufacturer.

Thank you

John

PS- I have purchased double hung window tensioners from you in the past.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230918_124027723.jpg.png
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm afraid I'm not immediately familiar with this setup. Looking over the photo you sent us, is this part attached to the top of the stationary patio door, or the active panel? If you are trying to lift the active panel off the track, try lifting it off from the inside of the house. Some patio doors lift off from the inside rather from the outside, so that may account for the problem you're having. 

Thanks for the reply.

The photo is from inside, the piece in question is separate from the door and is on the active sliding panel. Just don't know if it pops off or not without breaking it. Looks like it could prevent the active panel from rising up enough to clear the bottom track. I have tried removing the panel from inside.

I am heading down to the house in the morning to give it another try. Unfortunately cell and internet service is not very good in this location.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The piece in question is shown in better detail in the photos below.

I was able to lift the panels out from the outside after I removed the handle from the sliding panel and slightly by-passing the panels and finding the screws which retain the piece to both the fixed and sliding panels. this piece also has a slot in it to retain the weather strip at the top and bottom. Only the top pieces needed to be removed to lift out the panels. The rollers are your part number 81-156. The rollers are in good shape just that the grease has them gummed up. I can clean and re-lube them and they will work fine. I looked at all frame and panel edges and was not able to determine the manufacturer. I hope you can identify the part and maybe point me in the right direction for replacements. The part is 1-1/2" high, about 1-1/8" wide and 3/8" thick. As a last resort, I may have to make something from wood with a groove I can glue the end of the weather strip to. Thanks!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2561.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2562.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2563.JPG

These photos are very helpful, thanks for taking the time to remove the piece in question. The bad news is that I do not recognize it, and nothing in our inventory appears to come close. 

The 81-156 has also been used by many different door manufacturers, so that only narrows it down so much. Three of the most common brands I've seen are Patriot, Silverline, and American Craftsman. However this list is by no means exhaustive, those are just the names I've personally seen the most often when dealing with this roller.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. It's just not a product we recognize.

I checked the manufacturers you recommended and no luck! They don't call me "The King of Improvise" for nothing! Found a piece of scrap vinyl bead board and cut it to size and modified the groove to accept the felt weather strip and will use a piece of plastic cap molding to retain the weather strip on the side.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Home made door block.JPG

That's a great solution! I'm glad you were able to craft something to fill the same function. I'm sure this information will help other customers n the future, too.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.