Certainteed 36 x 58 vinyl double hung window balance "#86170"

A home owner from Gorham, Maine says:
1997 house with Certainteed vinyl DH windows 36x58, typical. Lower sash of one needs both balances. See attached photo - pulley appears to have "Certainteed 86710" imprint on one side.
Please let me know if I can order these spring balances, or if you need more information.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1387.jpg
Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for posting,

Your balance assembly resembles the 15-192 pivot shoe that is compatible with the Series 170 and Series 171 coil springs. Please review the dimensions to confirm a good fit! 

detail of 15-192
detail of 15-192

To choose the correct coil weight, review the original coil for a number stamp into the metal. If there is no marking, please provide the weight of the sash to move forward. Thank you!

I recently posted and received a reply that my balances are 15-192 pivot shoes. The coil spring appears to have "381" or "3S1" stamped below "SK". Very faint.
Do these numbers correspond to any standard coil spring nomenclature?
I'd like to order one pair, maybe two pairs, for the next one to fail.
Please see what you think, and help me to set up an order.
(I did check the dimensions - definitely the 15-192.)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1 - 2023-10-12T111845.536.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0 - 2023-10-12T111842.360.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1391.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1390.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1389 (1).jpg

The stamp does not directly translate. To move forward are you able to provide the weight of the sash? The sash will need to be removed and placed on a scale. Thank you! 

sash weighs 16 to 17 pounds.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1387.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1424.jpg

Thank you,

I recommend using (1) S170-408 coil spring on each side of the window. Both coils together will support a 16 pound window. Even if the weight is closer to 17 pounds as long as the weighted coils are within a pound range, they will be fine.

If you need a new cover, take a look and compare the 15-156 or the 15-185 cover with the 15-157 balance drum. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions! 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.