Champion Window Spring

A handy person from Cincinnati, OH says:

I have 14 year old Champion Windows and one of them has 2 broken springs. I was able to correctly identify the replacement shoe #15-177, and selected spring # S152-7 to go with it per the comments on the part description page for 15-177.

When I went to select the spring, the photo showed a straight end with a hole in the end, however my original springs have a curved in to seat themselves into the shoe. I was gambling that the spring photo showing on the page was a generic photo given the spring info on the shoe page showed them as a matching part.

I received my order today, #212574 and the spring end is as the website showed (thus my gamble didn't pay off)

A couple questions:

1. If spring S152-7 is the matching spring for show 15-177 as your website says, how is it supposed to anchor in the shoe, I don't see any way for this to happen.

2. Do you have a matching spring that has the curved end as my original spring does.

Note: I selected the 7lb spring because my original springs have a stamping of "E 7" on the outside.

The pic attached shows the backside of the new / matching shoe, and you can see from the photo how the shoe is designed to secure to a spring that has the J hook shaped end. The original / broken spring is on the right, the spring on the left is the S152-7 which I ordered.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karl

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring Comparison.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Karl. I'm sorry to hear about the confusion. The S152-7 spring and 15-177 shoe are fully compatible, and are in fact explicitly designed to work together. The spring connects to the shoe simply by screwing in. You can use something like the 33-072, or any equivalently sized screw you may have laying around.

As for a matching spring, your old "hooked" version isn't made anymore, to my knowledge. These are pretty much only made to screw on these days.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.