Channel Balance

A handy person from Kalkaska, MI says:
I need to replace 2 balances for an American Craftsman window (once part of Andersen, now Ply-Gem) The original American Craftsman series was 1400, which number is no longer valid and I cannot get web access to anything under the name of Ply-Gem. I can only tell on your website how to specify the length (25") and the sash weight (18.2 lbs.) but cannot tell how to specify the T-Lock balance shoe cam type.

The metal channel is 25" long, .58" wide and .532" deep, and the only marking on it is 24-5. The sash weighs 18.2 lbs. Please let me know if you need further dimensions on the shoe, or further photos.

I currently estimate I need a 25" SERIES 795 CHANNEL BALANCE, option 25C, but I'm not sure if it is the correct shoe.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CIMG2799.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CIMG2798.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I agree with your estimate: the S795-25 with a stamp option of 25C sounds right based off the information provided. There's just two things to clear up now:

• This is either a 15-195 or 15-195B T-Lock Shoe. The only difference is that the 15-195 has a 'closed cam', meaning you can't see through the back of it, while the 15-195B has an open cam, meaning the cam has no back wall and you can see straight through it. I'm afraid I can't tell from your photos what the case is here, but if you in fact have the 15-195B, it can be purchased separately and swapped out with the 15-195, which comes by default attached to these balances. The video below shows this simple process.
  • Finally, is that top hook a screw-on tab (which is what our standard Series 795 uses), or is it a hook that latches to the window jamb like our 15-198? If it's the latter, please show us a picture of the hole in the window track before proceeding; that will tell us the best course of action. 
A handy person from Kalkaska, MI says:

Further looking at your website I came to the same conclusion, that I need the 15-195B shoes, which I'll order separately, and the hook at the other end is a standard screw-on tab. Thanks for your help.

Paul

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.