Channel balance replacement

A quick learner from Defuniak springs Florida 32433 says:
Hello I am trying to find out what part this may fall under from you guys. It is a channel balance from a Jordan window. And it has a number engraved on it that says. 28 3. Wrote just like that. With the spacing apart from the 28. Any thoughts?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I feel pretty confident that we can help, but I'm unfortunately not sure what you have. We have dozens of different balances with that stamp. It's not a product code or anything, it just indicates the strength of the spring.

In order to figure out what Series this is, I need you to remove an undamaged version of this balance from the window and show me clear pictures of the top and bottom nylon fittings. I will also need to know the dimensions of these fittings.

The length of the channel is 28 3/4 It looks to be a 1/2 wide the plastic fitting that I think you're referring to is 1 inch and 3/4 long. The other one which I believe to be the bottom is an inch long.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry to say that we don't sell any balance with a metal channel length that measures in 3/4" increments. Can you please verify that measurement? These are always made in full inch increments; with your old stamp of "28 3," the metal channel should be 29".

Assuming that it is 29", then I believe you have either our S351-29 or S390-29, depending on the depth of the bottom shoe. That's the only difference between them. I recommend measuring your shoe and referring to our dimensions to confirm the best match.

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

Hi. Yes. It looks to be the s390. The nylon is an 1 1/8. Can I order 8 balances? What else can I order to replace to help make the insulation better. I would like to order all new clips. As well
Profile picture of Tom

Great, you're welcome to purchase the S390-29 (2830) balances directly on our website as long as your metal channel measures exactly 29" long, not including the end fittings. 

If you need new weatherstripping and clips as well, we may be able to help but we would need to see the end profile of your original seals uninstalled and photos of any other parts that you need to compare to our inventory. 

So the stamp of 28 3. Indicates the weight. It seems I have to pick an option before a buy the balance. 28 indicates 28 pound?
Profile picture of Tom

Your 28 3 stamp indicates the strength of the balance spring needed to support the weight of the sash. The corresponding strength option would be 2830, which will support a sash between 16-23 lbs. as stated in the chart on the S390-29 product page. Take a look and let us know if you have any other questions. 

The metal channel does not measure out to be 29. It measures at 28 3/4. So I don't believe this will work. Any other suggestions. And thank you for all your help you've been very helpful
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you for confirming. Unforutnately, we do not carry a version of these balances with a 28-3/4" long metal channel and it is not a size that any of our suppliers are familiar with. In our experience, these types of balance measurements normally indicate that custom modifications were made for your specific window. If so, your best bet would be to reach out to the manufacturer directly. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.