Coil

A home owner from Florida and New Jersey says:
Hello. My friend's home in Grenada has a window that won't stay open. I am trying to help him fix it (you've helped me in the past). I took the bottom sash off and took these photos. I am not familiar with this type of mechanism. Does this look like something that can be fixed? Does this need a replacement part? If so, do you have recommendations?

Thank you.

Dona C

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot shoe assembly
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot shoe installed
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Dona. This is a coil balance assembly. We don't sell an exact match for the pivot shoe but have a look at the 15-199 which uses the 1/2" S160 and 3/8" S165 coil springs. To determine the proper spring weights, you will need to divide the sash weight by the total number of springs in the window. 

To remove your hardware, we recommend the cut-out method as shown below. 

I'll be here if you have any questions!

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.