Coil Balance/Replacement

A home owner from says:
I'm looking for the coil balance for Simonton windows. The number for the window is
04728714060001. I hope this helps as there is no number on the part.

Thanks
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I am afraid I can't cross-reference that number to anything in our database. Simonton windows use a few different Coil Balance series. Generally the only reliable way to identify the correct coil balance replacements is to remove the existing hardware and show us photos, particularly of the pivot shoe that the coil springs attach to. The pivot shoe is the block from which the window also tilts inward from. The identity of the pivot shoe tells us the identity of the coil balances. If you can show us the shoe, we should be able to narrow down what you need. The video below shows how to remove and replace coil balance assemblies. Check it out. 

A home owner from Illinois says:

Hi,

This is the Simonton coil balance I'm looking for. Do these pictures help? I need 4.

Thanks,

Kerry  

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Coil Spring 01.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Coil Spring 02.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Kerry, thanks for getting back to me. This definitely helps. These coils are either 1/2" wide Series 160 springs or 3/8" wide Series 165 springs. Measure the thickness of the old coil tape to determine which you need. Let me know what you find. 

You have to choose spring weights for the replacement coils. The spring weights designate the strength that each individual coil can support. To know what spring weights to select, look for stamps on the 'tongues' of the coils. If there are none, or you are unsure, give me the exact weight of the window sash that they support, and I can work it out for you. 

Finally, do you also need the pivot shoe these coils attach to? They use a few different possible kinds, so if you could show me the shoe, I will be happy to identify it. 

Bob,

The coils are 1/2" wide. The window weighs 20lbs. Please quote me on the pivot shoes also.

Thanks

Kerry Mesick
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Coil Spring.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Shoe Pin.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Shoe.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks, Kerry. With 1/2" thick springs, you'll want our Series 160. I'd specifically suggest using one 4.5 pound spring and one 5.5 pound spring on each side. That will add up to 10 pounds per side, or 20 pounds total, which is perfect for your sash weight. See our S160-4 and S160-5.

As for the pivot shoe, yours appears to match our 15-199.

Bob,

Do the springs come with the plastic case that they mount in?
As you see from the previous picture it has bee destroyed.
Profile picture of Bob

No, that component is sold separately. Since you're using two springs that would be our 15-150D, but you can also just reuse the original covers if they're in working condition.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.