Coil Balance Quote Request

A quick learner says:

Coil balance series: S161

Sash-weight: 14

Coil-stamp: 14

Quantity: 2

Comments: This coil spring has 2 springs inside.

Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out. Since your window sash only weighs 14lbs, you should only need a 7lb coil balance assembly for each side of the window.

It is likely the Series 161 Coil Balance assembly may not be the one you need to replace your balances. May I please see a photo of your existing assembly, removed from the window?

Please also be sure to double check the sash weight. 

A quick learner from Lakeland says:
I don't have one removed from the window as it broke. There's a number 14 stamped on it as you can see in the picture.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2F83F87C-8FDE-4C34-B1BF-1A83755A7B3C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 06931643-63E2-4CD0-8FF6-A6B5C4185117.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D6C79C10-3856-4646-94A9-0032AEC602E7.jpeg

I understand. However, the coil balance support you show is not compatible with our Series 161 balances. So that makes me even more weary that this is the replacement assembly you'll need. 

I will need to see the entire assembly, not just the coil support. Are you able to remove an undamaged balance from a similar window?  

Reviewing photos of the original assembly is the only way I'll be able to confirm the correct replacement so that your windows function properly. You'll also need to have it removed to confirm the measurements. Take a look at the video below for instructions on removing these balances.

Regarding the number stamped on the coil balance support, given that you confirmed your sash weighs 14lb, it is not likely that you need a balance that supports 14lbs. Putting a 14lb coil in your window would mean that your balance weighs 28lbs. That amount of tension would be way too strong for the window.

I would also recommend double checking the sash weight so that we can get you set up with the right balance assembly for the window. Let me know if you have any questions.

A quick learner from Lakeland says:
The sash is more than 14lbs I would guess it's more around 25-30lbs.

I had called before putting in the info and asked what the stamped number on the spring meant. The lady told me it was the weight.

I will add some pictures of the one I removed from the window and hopefully this will help determine which one I need.

Thanks for confirming. Your balances appear to be more like our Series 140 Balances. Since you've confirmed that the window weight is 25-30lbs it is most likely that your sash is 28lbs. Given that your original hardware is stamped with the number 14, you'll need the S140-14

I am confident this is the correct replacement, however, I recommend confirming the measurements below to be sure.

Alternate image for S140-14
Alternate image for S140-14

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.