Coil Balances needed

A quick learner from Maryland says:
I need both sides for 3 windows. Is there a top and bottom for one side?
Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200329_114908.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200329_114858.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Looks like you're replacing your coil balances. We can help, but these coil balances are an older style I am not familiar with. Can you show us the pivot shoe that they connect to? These are the blocks with the cams from which the window sash can tilt from. They will tell us the identity of your coil balances and what you need. Many thanks. 

That was easy hopefully! I got a few photos of what you requested.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200331_161607.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200331_161605.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200331_161554.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me, that's perfect. See our 15-192 Pivot Shoe. This shoe uses our Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Balances; these look slightly different than your old ones but should function the same way. The Series 171 is used if you have more than one spring on each side of the sash; the video below details this. 

It looks like your springs are either stamped '6' or '9'; unfortunately, there's really no way to say for sure which is the right way to read the stamp besides obtaining the exact weight of the window sash. Give us that exact weight, and we can work out the spring weights you need. Thanks. 

Excellent support. I weighted the window and its 20lbs. And yes there was 2 coils on the old one.
Thanks for the help
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for the kind words! If the window weighs 20 lbs, I'd go with (2) of the S170-405 5 lb Coil Springs and (2) of the S171-405 5 lb Coil Springs, one of each for each side of the sash. I know this is different stamps from what you had, but if the window weighs 20 lbs exactly, this new configuration will equal 20 lbs of support exactly and I think it's your best. Let me know if you ahve any other questions. 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.