Coil balance

A quick learner from Phillipsburg, NJ says:
I need 2 coil balances Thank you Joe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Simonton Coil Shoe
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! Your existing pivot shoe is an older Simonton coil balance shoe. Unfortunately, this shoe is no longer made but the good new is, we do have a replacement solution that should fit well in the track. Take a look at the 15-259 Coil Balance Pivot Shoe. Carefully look over the dimensions to confirm that it is a suitable replacement for you.

Dimensions for 15-259
Dimensions for 15-259

The compatible coil spring is the Series 159 Coil Balance. Since yours is stamped with a 10, you'll need the S159-10

This pivot shoe will not be compatible with your existing pivot bar, so you'll need to replace it with the 26-083 2-1/2" Pivot Bar. You may also need the 15-255 Coil Single Support.

Take a look at the tutorial below for a detailed explanation on how to complete this conversion.

A quick learner from Phillipsburg, NJ says:

Hello Jasmine, I read what you sent to me. The dimensions for the 15-259 match my existing shoe. I noted that the my existing shoe is no longer available. My shoe looks good to me so I have to ask is the coil balance still available for my existing shoe? Thanks for your help. Joe

Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Joe,

Yes, the coil is still available. Although, the 10lb coil from your coil assembly indicates that the sash should weigh somewhere around 20lbs or more. Unfortunately, we do not carry a 10lb coil for the balance compatible with your Simonton pivot shoe. 

That said, you'll need to use the S170-405 and the S171-405 to accommodate for the weight. The Series 171 Coil stacks on top of the Series 170, since it has a longer tongue.

You'll likely need the 15-185 CertainTeed Lance Spring Cover but you'll want to be sure to compare the dimensions.

Detail of 15-185
Detail of 15-185

Profile view of 15-185
Profile view of 15-185

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.