Coil for window

A quick learner from Strasburg says:

Hello,

I recently took off these coils but am unable to find anything on them. I recently purchased S140-5 right and left but they seem to be to big to fit. Can you recommend what coil/supply I could use to fix this?

Thank you,

Daniel 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7066.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7065.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

It looks like you have an older version of the 15-180 balance shoe, which is used with the Series 190 coil springs and related items shown on our product pages. If your coils do not have anything stamped on them, you would need to weigh your sash and divide the weight by the number of coils used on both sides to choose the correct strength options. Thank you! 

Hello,

I am just following up from your last response. Can I purchase a quick tilt constant force balance for my window?
Profile picture of Casey

We do not recommend the quick tilt coil balance to replace the assembly shown in your photos. It is always a good idea to replace the original hardware with exact replacements whenever possible to ensure that the window operates properly. In your case, that would be the 15-180 balance shoe, the S190 coil springs and the related parts listed on our product pages. 

Thank you for the response. Do I need any other additional parts for the window?
Profile picture of Casey

You would only need to replace the parts that are broken, which is one of the benefits of this type of assembly. 

I threw away the top piece. Do you know what that item would be, so I can purchase it? I also do not have a stamp on my coil.
Here are additional pictures from a window that currently works.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9096.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9095.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the top piece. Are you referring to the cover for the coil balance? If so, we offer the 15-186 for single coils, as well as the 15-182 bushing to hold the coil spring in place. 

To determine the strength option for the replacement coils, you would need to weigh the window sash and divide the weight by the number of coils on each side. 

Hello. Thank you for your help. I just weighted my window and it's 18.2 lbs. I had two coils, one on each side previously. What coil number should I purchase?
Profile picture of Casey

In that case, I would recommend using one S190-940 coil on each side. 

Okay, thank you. Do you have a video recommendation that shows how to install everything for the window?
Profile picture of Casey

Sure, see the video below. The coil balance parts differ from yours but the process is fairly standard. 

Thank you so much!
Profile picture of Casey

We're happy to help! Just let us know if you need anything else. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.