Coil spring

A quick learner from Newfoundland says:
I received the part for my window, it fits ,but not the part I need. I need the spring that keeps the window open . I have sent part number and description in previous email. Kolhor window,H13329002 .The photo I'm sending shows spring attached but broken .please advise me part number to order.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3915.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I see that you purchased the 15-177 pivot shoe. The Series 152 are the compatible springs. You'll need to check the band of the old coil spring for a stamped weight code.

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you for your reply . I checked the spring and see no stamp of weight code on the beginning or end. Who I need to uncoil the spring to see a stamp?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0773.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

No, the stamp would be on the tongue at the beginning of the coil spring. The stamp may have faded or it never had one to begin with. To determine the proper spring weights, you'll need to divide the sash weight by the total number of springs in the window. If you're still unsure, get back to us with the weight of the sash and I can calculate what you'd need from there. 

There is no number so I weighed the spring 1.30 g or 37 oz . I need 2 plus supporting parts to match the one you sent already .
Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid we can't determine what spring weight you'll need from this information. We would need the weight of the window sash, which is the glass pane that moves up and down. 

Thank for that description. I removed the glass pane and it weighs 11.2 pounds.
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you kindly! You have two options with this sash weight. You can either use one S152-5 5-pound spring on each side of the window or one S152-6 6-pound spring on each side of the window. One 5-pound spring on each side will total 10 pounds of overall support and one 6-pound spring will total 12 pounds of overall support. Either will be fine for you as long as the weights fall within a pound of the actual sash weight. The decision is ultimately up to you. 

For new coil spring supports, see the 15-143, 15-144, and 15-145. These parts "sandwich" over each coil spring. 

Thank you , I will order parts and fix my problem, you have been very helpful.?
Profile picture of Emily

I'm happy I could help. I'll be here if you need anything else! 

Emily
Just want to let you know I received the parts . My window is now working as good as new again. Our local window installer told me parts were no longer available for that window and to replace the window was $800. With your help I fixed it for less than $50. Thank you for your help.
Dawn ?
Profile picture of Emily

That's fantastic news! I'm so happy we were able to be of assistance. 

Thanks so much for the update and please feel free to reach out if you had any other projects in the future we can help with.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.