Coil Window Balance Question

A quick learner says:
Have fiberglass frame/double pane windows. Need coil window balance and accessories. Please see pictures,thank you. Picture of dimensions too
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Shoes
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoes and Coil
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240120_135434.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Tilt Latch
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Assembly
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! Your coil balance assembly reminds me of the Series 140 Quick-Tilt Balance. To determine if this is the right replacement, you'll need to carefully compare the dimensions from the pivot shoe.

I see that the assembly in the window is stamped with a 14, so I am assuming that this is a 28lb sash. Although, you may want to double check the sash weight to confirm this.

Alternate image for S140-14
Alternate image for S140-14

This coil balance assembly is compatible with either the 26-398 and 26-405 rounded end pivot bars. To confirm which of these is the right replacement for your sash, you'll need to compare the dimensions below.

Detail of 26-398
Detail of 26-398

Alternate image for 26-405
Alternate image for 26-405

I'll need to see a clear photo of the entire tilt latch to identify the right replacement. I'll also need to know the measurements for the distance between the installation holes, from center to center. Unfortunately, I am not able to identify it by the latch thumb lever or the "tongue". 

A quick learner from Orlando Florida says:
Hi, here are photos,please let me know what you can do ,thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Riveted Pivot Bar
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Corner Pivot Bar

Your pivot bar looks a lot like the 26-407 Corner Pivot Bar. Carefully look over the dimensions and compare them to your existing pivot par to determine if this is the right fit.

Unfortunately, we do not carry the compatible rivet to secure the part to the side of the sash.

Alternate image for 26-407
Alternate image for 26-407

Hi Jasmine,thank you for time and consideration, the corner pivot bar I have is T shaped 26-407 is not,however, it may be that the replacement that you have is different. As long as it compatible with the other hardware in the
Swisco kit that is fine. You are correct with 14 stamped I believe that is way all my windows balances are broken,it is definitely undersized 14lbs,if you have a 20lbs kit I believe that would be a suitable solution. Would like to do this correctly this time and not have to replace again after minimal use.Thanks again for assistance and help.Please let me know what other details/dimensions you may need. Window dimensions are as follows 33 inches length & 34.5 inches for height.
Hope that helps,thank you.Roland

Hi Roland,

You are correct, this pivot bar is not an exact replacement for your existing pivot bar but it is the closest match we carry. There is a bit of wiggle room in the pivot shoe cam since the this pivot bar has a different shape, so the sash may rock mildly during operation of the window but it should still work fine as a replacement.

In regard to the coil assembly in the window, the spring strength needed will depend on the weight of the sash. Two of the S140-14 Quick-Tilt Balances will support a sash weight of 28lbs, which means the assembly stamped with a 20 will support a sash weighing 40lbs. Since the original hardware is stamped with a 14, I believe the S140-20 would be way too strong for the sash weight.

Hi Jasmine, thank you for your response,with regards to weight can we compromise (err on the side of caution) perhaps 18 LBS pr 16 LBS,I believe OEM(original equipment manufacture) was severely undersized,all my windows balances do not work. We do not use windows in summer months in Florida 9- 10 out of months the year A/C runs.It just seems like the original equipment was severely underrated.
I would appreciate your professional opinion on this.I certainly do not want to do this replacement often and routinely,it is a lot of work.
Thank you
Roland

Hi Roland,

Unfortunately, there isn't any compromise I can really make in the situation. It would ultimately be up to your discernment.

If you put a balance assembly in the window that is stronger than needed, that will (at the very least) guarantee that the pivot shoe will become damaged again very soon. Worse case scenario it could put unnecessary force on the pivot bar causing irreparable damage to the sash frame. If the window is locked, the pressure from those coil springs has to go somewhere.

Window balances are made for one specific reason, to hold the weight of a sash. This means that the sashes weight directly correlates to the spring strength required for that window. That said, the existing balance could be incorrect but the only way to know what spring you're going to need is to obtain the exact weight of the sash. This is also the best way to ensure that you do not have to make these repairs routinely.

I hope this helps!

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.