How to repair an Andersen operator with a stripped gear?

A quick learner from Austintown Ohio says:
The operator crank mechanism for my Anderson Casement Windows (looking on right side from inside double window) cracked the crank cover while opening the window. I discovered (I think) that when turning crank, the bushing that retains the operator screw is no longer holding and it backs out of the base pushing the bushing and operator cover off. I have included a photo of it in hopes of getting a suggestion for resolving project.
User submitted photo of their Anderson casement window crank operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this hardware, but I think we can help.

It sounds like the worm gear might have stripped out. This usually happens when the handle is over-torqued either while closing or opening the window. Once this gear strips, I'm sorry to say that it can't be repaired or replaced; you're going to need an all new operator.

The good news is that we can help. We carry a wide selection of Andersen brand operators that may match this: see our 39-094 and 39-095, as well as our 39-146 and 39-147

Your next step should be to carefully compare the design of these products to your original part to determine the best match. If you needed help, submit a couple photos of the original out of the window and we can try to narrow it down for you.

A quick learner from Austintown, Ohio says:
I finally did get the molding off exposing the Anderson right hand (from inside)defective crank mechanism from our casement window. Here's a few more pictures to help find the proper new operator. Could not find any associated numbers. Thanks for any help.DescriptionUser submitted photos of window operator.Code
User submitted photos of window operator.

These new photos are perfect, thank you! My top recommendation would be the 39-146 Andersen operator. We also have the 39-147 for the opposite side, if you happened to need that.

You can likely reuse the old handle, but in case that's not possible then please also see our 39-286.

If you had any follow-up questions, feel free to reach out. I'm always happy to help!

A quick learner from Urbana, IL says:
This is such a great service. I have a similar problem but I think my unit is a different one. Can you look at this photo and identify the part I need?
User submitted photo of Andersen window crank.

Thank you for submitting your photo! I think we can help with this operator, as well, though we unfortunately cannot identify a match without seeing the rest of the mechanism. If possible, please submit a couple photos of the entire operator so we can match it up to a replacement part in our inventory. Thanks!

A quick learner from Urbana, IL says:
Attached are some additional photos. I think the replacement part is
39-094 : Andersen Straight Arm Operator, 9 3/8" arm, LH

User submitted photo of Andersen window operator.

I agree, our 39-094 does look like the replacement operator you need. This product also comes with a new cover and track, though the handle is sold separately. You should be able to reuse your original, but just in case that's not possible then see our 39-286.

As always, please reach out if you had any other questions about this hardware.

Dimensions for 39-094
Dimensions for 39-094

A quick learner from New York says:

Greetings,

Any chance you can help me? I need a crank cover for an Andersen window. A picture of the cover is included. It is the snap-in variety (no screw holes). It measures 4 5/8 inches across. As you can see the hole for the crank is in the middle of the cover. The cover has the word "Andersen" on it along with the company emblem. This window may have been manufactured in the 1970's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
User submitted photo of Andersen crank.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Chris. We should be able to help you with this, yes. This handle looks like an older version of our 39-286 Andersen brand handle. While yours may be a bit older, our modern version should still be compatible with the operator. 

Take special note that the 39-286 has a 3/8" spline size. Yours should be the same, but it never hurts to triple check just to be sure.

Side profile view with measurements
Side profile view with measurements

View of the gear hole with measurements
View of the gear hole with measurements

A quick learner from Wisconsin says:
Is there a way to replace the bushings instead of replacing the entire operator? The operators I have are the same as the the one in the first picture posted. If the operator is cleaned and greased and the bushing replaced it would operate perfectly.

How can I replace just the bushing?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by bushing in this case. Are you referring to the bore that connects to the handle and physically cranks the arms in and out? If so, that can't be repaired or replaced, unfortunately. This is called the "worm gear" and once that strips out, you will need an all new operator.

We can help you find a good match, but we will require clear and unobstructed photos of the hardware in question. I can then check our inventory for a good match.

A home owner from Middletown Ct. says:
I don't have a photo, but the shaft on the worm gear has a nylon washer followed by a metal bushing which is flat on one side and rounded on the other. When you close the window the worm gear pushes the bushing out of its housing and into the cover which will break.Can you buy the bushing and will it repair the operator? $2.00 vs $60.00+ .
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I suspected back in 2013. I'm afraid that that bushing cannot be repaired or replaced as they are machine pressed at the factory. Once they come out, it's not possible to put them back in. You will need an all new operator mechanism for this window.

A quick learner from Boston says:
Why does the casement crank handle become loose?

Is it worn teeth? I have the screw kind not snap on handle. It seems to me the gear threads wear down creating a loose fit. So, in my case, it takes a three quarter turn before the threads engage and window moves. The handle has a lot of " slack" in it.

Is it tight screws. Also, the screw has a very tight thread to the point it gets so hard to turn with a screw driver, you think it has bottomed out. When in fact, the screw is not in deep at all.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

In my experience, the gears strip out when the handle is over-torqued when either opening or closing the window. At a certain point the gears aren't meant to turn anymore, and if you continue to crank the handle past that point then it will eventually result in the gear bore stripping out.

Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.