Custom Channel Balance Request

A home owner from USA says:
I have a number of windows in my home in need of replacement sash balances. The home was a new build in 2004, and the windows are double hung, wooden sash, manufactured by Bonneville Windows that became defunct about a decade ago. Many of the windows now have broken cords, some are extremely difficult to open/close (especially close), most have always been quite stiff to operate, hence the broken cords. But having said this, though I'm certainly not an expert, I think the installation is okay. Once the cord is broken, and considering the weight of the windows, they do seem to slide in the side channels quite freely and uniformly. I have noticed a couple of customer comments on your website that your sash balances are of superior quality, and operate more easily than the original Bonneville sash balances, which appear to have been made by Unique, now also defunct, I believe.

So here's the specific information I have:

My Large Windows ? 18 Windows in Total

Lower Sash

Sash Balance Length: 28 15/16" (Metal Only)

Balance Marking: (03/6) Unique 28-D-40

Approximate Sash Weight: 27 lbs.

Overall Sash Dimensions: 32-15/16 w by 34-1/8 h by 1-7/8 t

Upper Sash

Sash Balance Length: 28 15/16" (Metal Only)

Balance Marking: (03/6) Unique 28-D-40

Approximate Sash Weight: 26 lbs.

Overall Sash Dimensions: 32-15/16 w by 33 h

My Medium Windows ? 3 Windows in Total

Lower Sash

Sash Balance Length: 23" (Metal Only)

Balance Marking: (4/01) Unique 22-E-50

Approximate Sash Weight: 22-1/2 lbs.

Overall Sash Dimensions: 32-15/16 w by 28-1/8 h

Upper Sash

Sash Balance Length: 23" (Metal Only)

Balance Marking: (03/6) Unique 22-E-50

Approximate Sash Weight: 22 lbs.

Overall Sash Dimensions: 32-15/16 w by 27 h

So by my reckoning I will need 72 pcs of the 29"/27 lb. balances (It appears to me that the uppers and lowers are the same), and

12 pcs of the 23"/22 lb. balances.

Could you please let me know the part number I should order, the cost of these items, and the routine delivery time. Also, does it make sense for me to order one set of 4 (For the large windows) initially, just to check that they will fit and function properly.

Thank you very much for your assistance with this order. Peter

PS: Here are a few photos of the existing windows which you may find helpful:

Top of a Lower Sash Balance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. The manufacturer of this Bonneville window balance has gone out of business. There isn't a simple balance replacement, but we believe you can use our Series 795 tilt balance with the 1" wide T-Lock shoe, the 15-194 (sold separately), as a replacement. We have been told by former customers that the shoes were oversized (the Channel is about 19 mm that the shoe fits into). Thus, you will need to modify the shoes by whittling the shoe down (mainly with a bench grinder and Drexel). Then, install the balance. We suggest you first try replacing the balances in the large lower sash with S795-29, along with the 15-194 T-Lock shoe. The stamp option will be our 29D for a sash weighing between 23 through 28 lbs. The Series 795 balance is mounted at the top of the window with a screw. Please review.

How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.