Door handle

A handy person from Columbus, Indiana says:
The tongue on the lever that goes into the locking mechanism collapsed back into the level and stopped making adequate contact with the locking mechanism. I tried to pull it out and it actually came out all together. The level is very loose, it must have had a bushing or similar thing that is now worn out. Can the lever be replaced? This is a JW handle. 10" from end to end, holes 4" apart. There is a key lock on the other side that is not needed. The door services a small balcony off of a master bedroom.

Amesbury Door Hardware, Sioux Falls, SD Patent D466787
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230805_103721.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230805_103838.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. The 82-107 Thumb Lever can likely work as a substitute, but I am afraid it only comes in white. You could also consider all-new handle sets: see our 82-089 or 82-090, depending on the finish you prefer. Note too that there's a chance the thumb lever broke due to the mortise lock it interacts with being broken. To test this, remove the handle set from the door and try manually 'throwing' the lock with a slotted screwdriver. If it doesn't budge, then you know the lock needs to be replaced as well. 

A handy person from Columbus, Indiana says:
The locking mechanism seems to work fine with a screw driver and the anti-slam button depressed. I believe the lever pin was loose and recessed too far to adequately to work the lock. The replacement handles offered are only 8 1/2". Are there any compatible replacement handles that are 10" wide? Thanks.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I'm afraid we don't have handle sets like this with a base plate that long, but keep in mind that won't affect compatibility with your door in any way. What matters is the hole spacing, or the distance between the center of each mounting hole. So long as the hole spacing is 3-15/16", then the 82-089 or 82-090 would work for you. 

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.