Double-Hung Window Falling Shut

A quick learner from Ocean City, MD says:

Hi, We have a double-hung window that is falling as soon as you unlock the locks.

My friend spoke with someone at Swsico and they said we need to replace the balance and/or the shoe on the upper sash. Looks like something broke at the top and fell to the bottom. Please see picture below. Are you able to confirm and, if so, let me know what parts I need to order?

Thank you for any assistance.

Betty 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Condo Kitchen Window.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Betty. Yes, it sounds like you need new window balances. Judging from your photo, you need spiral balances for tilt windows. We can help, but we'll need more information. See the video below that details spiral balance identification, and the second video which shows how to remove and replace this hardware. Finally, you might want to check if you need a new pivot shoe also; the pivot shoe is the plastic block that the spiral rod connects to, and from which the window sash tilts inwards from. The third video below shows how to remove and replace these shoes. If you need a new one, remove one, send a picture, and tell us its width and thickness, and we'll be happy to find one for you. 

A quick learner from Ocean City, MD says:
Hi, Pictures are below. The small white plastic piece is 1.25 inches. The longer piece is 4 inches. Is it possible to get these parts overnighted. It's kinda urgent. Thx. Betty
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Part 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Part 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Part.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us! It looks like the source of your problem is a combination of different broken parts: what I'm seeing here is a broken pivot bar and pivot shoe.

Starting with the pivot bars, my first recommendation would be the 26-426. This appears to match what your originals, but look over its specs and let me know if you agree.

As for the pivot shoe, that's tougher to say without knowing its dimensions. My top guess is the 15-046, but you need to check its width" x thickness" to verify. Those are the two most important dimensions; in the case of our 15-046, that would be 1-1/4" x 1/2".

We have other sizes, so if those don't match just let me know and we can find you an alternative.

Alternate image for 26-426
Alternate image for 26-426

Alternate view of 26-246
Alternate view of 26-246

Alternate image for 15-046
Alternate image for 15-046

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.