Help replacing balance system

A home owner from MD says:

Dear SWISCO,

The balance system of two of my windows had Brocken. I took them out. On the spring it says 406L and it is a double springs system. Will you please tell me what the coil balance assembly I should get and where to get them. Should I also the pivot bars.

Thanks very much. Your videos are very helpful!

Janet 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 406L stamp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named double spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named double spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named double coil systm
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for reaching out to us, Janet! We can help with this but I'd like a little more information to ensure we recommend the proper hardware. Can you show us a photo of the pivot bar, preferably removed from the window sash? Let me know!

Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named old simonton pivot bar
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you kindly for the additional photos! This is a huge help. It looks like you have an old Simonton pivot bar which leads me to recommend the 15-259 pivot shoe. The Series 159 are the compatible springs and you will need the 26-083 pivot bar as well since your old one won't be compatible with the new shoe. Have a look at the video below and let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks very much for your help, Emily
Profile picture of Emily

I'm happy to help! Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other hardware repair questions you might have.

Have a great day!

Hi Emily,

I receive the parts. But my window is double coil and the pivot shoe is for single coil. It does not fix into the shoe. Should I order a different shoe?

Thanks for your help,

Janet
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 406L spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named old spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named old double spring
Profile picture of Emily

No, you ordered the right 15-259 shoe but your old springs won't work with this. The 15-259 is only designed to work with the Series 159 springs. 

I can help determine the proper spring weights but I will need to know the precise weight of the sash. 

But it is a double coil system. How to fit the second coil into the shoe? Will 15-192 CertainTeed Pivot Shoe work with my current coils? I have enough of them?
From a you tube video from SWISCO, It looks like 15-192 - CertainTeed Pivot Shoe will work with my existing coils?

Thanks for your help,

Janet
Profile picture of Emily

Your old springs won't work with the 15-259 shoe but they should work with the 15-192. However, you will need to file down the aligners on the front of the face so that it can fit into the window track. Please note that altered items like this cannot be returned for a refund. Additionally, you will have to reuse your old pivot shoe's cam with the 15-259 for it to be compatible with your old pivot bar. 

Ok, Thanks very much for your help!

Janet
Profile picture of Emily

No problem, Janet! I'll be here if you need anything else. 

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.