How is the 81-098 Pella roller attached?

A home owner from Maryland says:
How is the 81-098 attached? Is it simply a friction-fit?

I think this might be the right roller for my door, but i'm not 100% sure. I do not see a model number anywhere on the roller other than the words "Heim 468B" on the roller.

There is no obvious way to remove the assembly from the door frame.

thanks!
~aaron
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello! You are correct, the 81-098 roller isn't held in by any fasteners. Instead, it's kept in place with the weight of the door itself. Once the door is out  of the frame and the adjustment screw is removed, you should be able to pull the roller out fairly easily. I've known some service people to use a pair of needle nose pliers.

We also have a guide that you may find helpful. I'll share it below for your review. In this guide, Pella recommend using a wire loop and hammer to leverage the roller out of the frame. You may find this to be easier.

A home owner from Alabama says:
Just replaced a roller in one of my Pella doors using the 81-098 and the instructions shown on this page.

Worked like a charm! Thanks for the part and the instructions!
A handy person from Washington, D.C. says:
How do you remove the adjusting screw before trying to pull out the roller with a wire and claw hammer? Do I twist clockwise? (I tried twisting both ways and neither way loosened the screw so that it seemed to come loose from its "socket.)

(I'll buy two old style pella rollers if I can figure out how to get the old rollers out.)

Also, how do I get the wire to loop ... stick one end into the roller and try to wind it around the wheel?

Thanks for your help. David
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

When you turn the screw enough, it should come out. If not, you can always try turning it in just enough so it doesn't stick out and damage the rail. 

For the wire, the goal is to try to loop it around the screw itself. That should provide enough leverage to allow you to pull it out with the claw hammer.

A quick learner from AZ says:
Is the main difference between OEM roller and #81-249 that the wheel is metal verses nylon?
If so, what is the life expectancy difference between the two.
Thank you
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello! That's a good question. The only major difference between the two products is that the 81-098 is a genuine Pella brand product while the 81-249 is a generic. We find that both products work well, though there are some cases where the generic roller can rub against the door track, as it sits slightly lower in the frame. That said this is an uncommon experience, and the 82-249 is still a strong option.

Both the 81-098 or 81-249 have a metal wheel. At this time, neither have a nylon wheel option.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace the pre-701 and 701 Pella patio door roller
How to replace the pre-701 and 701 Pella patio door roller
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.