I need new balance for a broken one.

A home owner from Corvallis, OR says:
I have a Viking metal window made in 1996. 35" by 1/2" balance. I think I need an S395-35. Also a top guide. Present balance stamped 3440. Windows are hard to pull down to shut. Is it possible to get one with less resistance? Thank you, Dan Lind
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2126.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2127.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1637.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree, our S395-35 looks like a great match. Your old stamp of 3440 is calibrated to hold 23 through 30 pounds, so if you think that's too strong then you should weigh your sash on a scale to determine what might be better. The next strength down is 3430, which carries 18 through 23 pounds, but the last thing you want is a balance that's too weak.

As for the top sash guide, would it be possible to see a couple more photos of this? I'd like to see it clearly from the front and side. Think of it like a mugshot. If you can show it to us in undamaged condition, that would be the most helpful. Thanks!

A home owner from Corvallis, OR says:
I could not get the top guide out of the good side because I did not have the real small square bit for my screw driver. I am at our vacation home and nowhere to get the correct bit. I have taken pictures of one installed and taped together the broken one. The broken one seems to be about 1 3/8" long. Let me know if you need me to take the good one out the next time I am at the house.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2137.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2139.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2134.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2136.JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Tom is out of the office today but I would recommend starting by comparing the dimensions shown on the 18-009 product page to your top sash guide. Take a look and see if this might be the part that you need. 

A home owner says:
Thank you for your help. Looks like the right part. I will get my order in.
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.