Kawneer commercial door

A quick learner from Concord NC says:
I'm having a little trouble adjusting a glass/aluminum storefront door. It has a small bit of sag and the pivot hinge only allows raising and lowering the door within the frame. It seems the only option is to:

1. Remove the door
2. Remove the top pivot hinge
3. Modify the the door by filing a slot in the mounting holes for the top pivot hinge that are in the door.
4. Reinstall the top pivot hinge, sliding it slightly inward via the slotted mounting holes.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kawneer commercial door - top pivot hinge.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kawneer commercial door - Gap in threshhold.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Before you try to modify the mounting holes for the top pivot, take a look at the 79-124 pivot. We also have a  video shown below on how to install a Kawneer pivot. It shows how to adjust the bottom pivot. Take a look and let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you. 

I've already raised the lower pivot pin as far as I can. Any further and the door begins to scrape and bind at the frame near the top hinge.

The frame is plumb so my only adjustment option is to modify the door hinge mounting holes at the top to allow the top hinge to move laterally inward.

Take a look at the top of the door on the handle side. At the top of the door, you should see the adjustment screw. When you turn the screw clockwise, it should raise the door on the handle side to disengage from the threshold at the bottom. When turning that screw, have someone pull up on the handle to take the pressure off of the glass in the door. That screw actually is on top of the glass. There should be a cushion between the screw and the glass to prevent it from breaking. 

I'm not seeing the screw you mentioned.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kawneer commercial door - top of door - latch side
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kawneer commercial door - bottom of door - hinge s
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kawneer commercial door - bottom pivot hinge.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kawneer commercial door - top of door - latch side

I see that your door does not have that top adjustment screw. Before you make any modifications to the pivot, see if the pivot set at the top is worn. Looking at your door and frame, it does look like your door is square to the opening. I'm not sure modifying the top pivot will give you the clearance you need. The only issue is with the bottom floor and the outside concrete. Have you considered cutting the bottom of the door to give you the necessary clearance?

That may be a better option. What would be the best method and tool for that?

I used to work with one of the best commercial door and window troubleshooters. With that being said, he would use a good Jig saw and blade. You might want to put some tape on the door to keep the scratches down and some oil to keep the blade sharp. Use a file when you are finished to smooth out the bottom cut on the door. We also checked the Kawneer door that we have in our building and it has the adjustment screw at the top of the door, so I'm not sure why yours is different Good luck, and make sure to take your time.

How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.