Left side latch broken, looking for replacement

A handy person from Near Tulsa Oklahoma says:

Folks - five years ago, you saved me a couple of hundred bucks by selling me a pivot bar for my ancient vinyl windows. I thanked you again, and repeat: THANKS!!!

Today, I found that one of my Lowes double hung (double pane) vinyl windows was leaking - because the left latch on the bottom (inner) sash was broken. This window was installed (by a contractor) in spring of 2016.

I am showing you pictures of a window with a working latch, hopefully this will give you a better idea of what the part is supposed to look like.

Bob

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Latch in window.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Left latch closed.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named side view open.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top view open.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reaching out to us, again! We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience previously. 

I am confident that we can supply you with the latches you need. Yours remind me of our 26-243 and 26-244 Tilt Window Latches. To confirm, carefully compare the dimensions shown on the diagram below.

Alternate view of 26-243
Alternate view of 26-243

Profile view of 26-243
Profile view of 26-243

Jasmine -
The 26-243 sure LOOKS Almost like what I need!
the 2 5/8" length exactly matches, as does the 11/16" width.
Alas, the setback that your picture shows as 3/16" appears to me to measure 3/4"
Attaching pic I just took... with ruler

Also - is your pic from top or bottom?
And, how do you get the darn thing out - to replace it?
Thanks again!!

Hello,

That measurement should not be an issue. If all of the other measurements are a match, the 26-243 and 26-244 should work well as a replacement. The photo above is of the bottom view of the latch; the top has the thumb lever on it.

There is a video tutorial below that details how to remove and install these latches.

I hope this helps!

Jasmine -
Thank you so much!!!

I just put in an order for two of each (left & right)

I am so very happy that you folks are here to help us with these weird little problems that the big box stores can't be bothered with!!

I'm happy that we could be of help to you! Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other hardware repair projects you might have.

Have a great weekend!

Jasmine -

My set of replacement latches arrived yesterday - and it took me less than five minutes to replace the broken one. Window latches in place perfectly now.

You folks provide a very, very necessary service - and I want you to know how much you are appreciated!

Thank you.

Thank you so much for you kind feedback! It was my pleasure to assist with your repairs.

We're glad to hear that repair process went smoothly and efficiently for you.

Have a great day!

How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.