Left window balance rod replacement

A handy person from Florida says:
The spring came loose and the pulley string clip detached from the track mechanism so the window doesn't open evenly nor stay up.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0688.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0687.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0686.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0685.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0684.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-10/10/2023, 12:07:05 PM.png
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

It looks like you may have balances similar to our S770 that attaches to the top of the window jamb with a screw but yours appears to use the 62-105 hook, which often attaches to a pivot shoe like the 15-105.

Close up view of the Series 770 balance top.
Close up view of the Series 770 balance top.

Close up view of the Series 770 balance bottom.
Close up view of the Series 770 balance bottom.

Alternate image for 62-105
Alternate image for 62-105

I would recommend starting by confirming that the specifications below match up to yours. Also, we'll need to confirm the exact length of your metal channel, which appears to be 24", as well as the weight of your sash since your balance stamp does not match any of our strength options. Lastly, we'll need to know the number of Please note that this would need to be a custom order, so it is important to confirm all of the details before moving forward. Thank you! 

The hook and some appear to be the same as the ones I have however the pulley system on the S770 rod is different. I don't know about the weight of my sash and am not sure how to find out. I did weigh the bottom window piece and it's roughly 22 lbs.
Profile picture of Casey

The pulley system in the balance shown in your photos is broken but an undamaged assembly should resemble ours. If not, we would need to see photos of an intact pulley system. To clarify, the hook would replace the terminal clip attached to the pulley cord shown in our photo, which is why it needs to be a custom order. 

Also, the sash is the piece of glass and frame in the window that you raise and lower, which is supported by the channel balances. That sounds like the part that you weighed but it is important to confirm the exact weight since the balances need to be calibrated correctly. Keep in mind that since the balances need to be specially made, they would not be able to be returned for a refund. 

Here's a better photo of my balance rod pulley assembly.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0691.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

Your pulley system looks the same as other balances that we have offered the S770 with the 62-105 hook to replace. You can view one example Alternate view of 87-201

">here. Once we confirm if your sash weighs exactly 22 pounds, we'll be happy to send over an order link and price quote for two balances. 

Hi Casey
Thanks for the response. I've included a close up photo of my pulley system with measurements. It is 1/2" wide but closer to 1 7/8 long. The weight of the bottom window is 22 lbs.

I've also included a picture of my shoe for comparison. I don't know that they need to be replaced but probably wise if I'm getting new balance rods. Excuse the dirt.

Thanks,
Kathy
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0707.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0708.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

Your pivot shoe resembles the 15-105 shown below, which is commonly used with this type of balance assembly. 

Open position 15-105
Open position 15-105

View of 15-105 in the Closed Position
View of 15-105 in the Closed Position

Alternate view of 15-105
Alternate view of 15-105

As for your sash weight, we have two strength options for the S770-24 that will support 22 pounds, 24C and 24D as shown below. Just let us know which option you'd like to go with and we'll be ready to send over a price quote for two replacement balances. 

24C: 17 to 22 lbs

24D: 22 to 25 lbs

I'd like to go with the more robust option S770-24D.
Thanks Casey for your help in choosing a viable replacement. I look forward to your quote.
Profile picture of Casey

We're happy to help! We just sent over an order link and price quote for you to review. Keep in mind that the link is only for the balances but you can add the 15-105 pivot shoes to your order directly from our website if needed. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.