Leveling springs

A home owner from Surfside Beach SC says:
Attached pix show a window that will not stay up. Its partner window works fine. I would like to know if you can match the spring cartridges from the pix. There are no markings or brand names visible anywhere. These windows are original construction from around 2004. I would need two spring units, one for each side of the pane.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Single Hung Tilt Window
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Clip
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel balance Clip
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! The pivot shoe you have is the 15-180 Coil Balance Shoe. I am confident this is the correct replacement but you'll still want to be sure to compare the dimensions to be absolutely sure this is the right fit. Take a look at the diagram below for reference.

The compatible clip is the 15-186 Coil Balance Clip which is used along with the 15-182 Coil Bushing.

Alternate image for 15-180
Alternate image for 15-180

Profile view of 15-186
Profile view of 15-186

This shoe and clip are compatible with the Series 190 Coil Balance, secured to the shoe using the 33-073 #8 x 1/2" Truss Head screw. To confirm the right replacement springs for your window, you'll need to look for any stamps/markings on the metal coil.

If there are none, you'll need to obtain the exact window weight and divide it by the total number of coils. Then on the list of balances the first number after the 190 will be the weight you'd need to select.

(For example, if your window ends up weighing 12lbs, you'd need (2) 6lb coils. So you would need the S190-640.)

I removed the parts from the track and they measure exactly the same as the ones you have pictured. The coil has an embossed number which could be a 6 or a 9. See attached pic. The window weighs 26 lbs. I would like to place an order for two complete sets, one for each side of the window.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window spring.jpg

I am uncertain of the number stamped on your coil spring, unfortunately. Since the sash weighs 26lbs, it is likely you have 6lb coils as well as one other coil. Did your assembly have (2) coils on each side of the sash? 

Given the sash weight, you'll need the S190-640 and the S190-740 along with the 15-181. This will support 13lbs on each side and will properly support the total sash weight.

Only one coil per side. Maybe that's why the window would not stay up. Not enough spring for the weight. There are many windows of this type in the house, but they all seem to have enough spring per weight, because they all go up and down with no trouble. Not sure how this one came to be under powered. I guess the 13 lb spring per side is what I need.

That must be a mistake the previous installer made but I'm glad to hear the other windows are functioning properly.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Have a great day!

Each Double Support Detent Clip needs 2 screws to fasten it to the window frame, does it not? The single Clip I removed was affixed to the frame by 1 screw through the Coil Balance Clip and Bushing (See attached pic.) Are those screws to be supplied by the installer? When attaching the 2 coils to the Shoe, do they run opposite to each other, one down one side of the shoe, one down the other, each needing its own 1/2" Truss Head Screw? So I need to order 4 such screws for two sets of Balance assemblies, correct? When I make up a cart, is it possible for you or someone else who knows to check the order to see if I have ordered all of the correct parts for this job?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named complete assembly.jpg

Yes, that would be correct, you'll need the double clip. As confirmed, that would be part 15-181. If there is only space to install one screw, you'll likely need to drill a new hole to accommodate for the double clip. 

The installer may provide the screws for them, however, you'll have to inquire with them about what they would be able to provide you with in their services. If they do not provide them, to ensure that you have the right sized screw, I would suggest taking your screws to a local hardware store so that they can match them up for you.

In regard to how the coil attaches to the shoe, they would connect on opposite sides. Once you've connected the first coil you'll then stretch the second coil just enough so that you can pull it over the first. You will need 4 screws for two sets of balances.

Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to check the order from our location. As stated, if you need assistance with placing the order, you are more than welcome to call and speak to our customer service team.

Thanks. You've been very patient and informative.

I'm happy to help! Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions.

Have a great day!

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.