Locking mechanism for SDG5470 Sliding Glass Door

A quick learner from Bluffton, SC says:

Hello,

My locking mechanism for our sliding glass door SDG5470 is starting feel like it's having signs of wear. The door is supplied by 84 lumber in Savannah to our home builder Pulte. I have attached a pic of the mechanism, there are 2 parts that come out and attach to the door latch. Is this something that you could supply? If you need more information, just let me know.

Thank you.

Vincent  

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1718.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1720.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1721.png
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Vincent. Our 82-265 Mortise Lock looks awfully close, but how do the dimensions compare? Take a look below and let me know what you think. Note that the two teeth on this mortise lock point 'inwards'. I can't entirely tell if that's the case on your old lock, so please confirm. Also note that if this lock looks good for you, you might want to replace the keeper as well with the 82-249--we've had customers report that the 82-265 works best with this new keeper. Let me know if you have further questions.

Alternate image for 82-265
Alternate image for 82-265

A quick learner from Bluffton, SC says:
Hello Bob - Thank you for your prompt reply. I happy to advise my motise points inward and measures the same ( 11" center holes, 11 3/4 overall length and 3/4" wide) as your 82-265 replacement part. As your keeper 82-249 looks totally different than mine, I would also make that a changeout part.

I have about 1/2" of "play" in the small white locking lever, does that necessitate a changeout of the handle or is that normal? Last question: I have been using white lithium grease to lube the mechanism, is that okay or should I use something other?

Thank you?Vincent
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1724.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1726.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

There might just be play in the thumb lever due the mortise lock being broken. In fact, many customers mistakenly assume the thumb lever is what's broken for this very reason, without realizing the mortise lock is the chief culprit. That said, if you haven't already it is worth removing the handle set and inspecting it and the thumb lever for any sign of damage. If it seems broken, our 82-106 might work as a replacement--but look it over to confirm it matches your old thumb lever's design.

82-106 in the white color option
82-106 in the white color option
Alternate view of 82-106
Alternate view of 82-106
If it seems off, you may have to consider replacing the entire handle set instead. Check the hole spacing, or the distance between the centers of each mounting hole, on your old handle set is 3-15/16". If so, our 82-030 should do the trick. 

Finally--yes, lithium grease should work just fine as a lubricant. We often recommend silicone spray instead, since in theory it should attract less dust and dirt--but so long as you're not applying the grease too liberally, that shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. Let us know if you have any further questions, and Happy Thanksgiving!

How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.