Loewen Steinbach Window Hinge

A handy person from KY says:
Hello
I will need to order a 2 bar hinge set for my Loewen Steinbach window are their left and right sided ones if so how do I determine which one I need? Is it determined by the location of the crank? If on the left is it a left and on the right a right? How much is shipping to 40071
Thank You
Bill
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Bill! I see you were looking at our 36-004-10 hinge set, specifically. This is designed to work on both left or right handed windows interchangeably so you can use it on whichever window is in need.

You should also know that when it comes to defining "left" and "right" for casement windows, it's honestly going to be different depending on who you ask. Every manufacturer, company, and contractor has a different definition of what left and right handing means. Some define it from the outside looking in, some from the inside looking out, some from how the window swings, and so on. There is unfortunately no industry standard. I wish there was, because it gives me no end of headaches trying to work it out with customers who define it differently than I do, but that's just how it goes in this business.

I only mention this in case you find yourself looking for more parts for these windows you're working on. Hopefully that helps you at some point down the line. In my experience it's best to throw the words "left" and "right" away entirely and just go by the little details. It will save you a lot of trouble, trust me.

As for shipping, I can't determine that for you off the top of my head but it is calculated for you automatically during checkout.

Tom
Thank you I will place and order.
Bill
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! We really appreciate it. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Hi Tom
I finally got the opportunity to install the new hinges the quality of the product is excellent. I had one issue the glide pads on the hinges were thicker then the originals so I had to machine them so I could get the window back in the frame. Also the special wrench they tell you to buy doesn't fit the adjustment pin it requires an 11MM still not sure what accomplished with the adjustment pin?? I would return it but the shipping would be more then the wrench.
Thank you
Bill
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Special wrench.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window hinge.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

The 75-034 wrench is unfortunately not compatible with the 36-004-10. This is only used with the 36-048; while a similar design, this is a different assembly. The 36-004-10 cannot adjust the same way. The only adjustment it has is via that little screw you see on the black guide. Turning that influences how tight the shoe is in the track, increasing or decreasing friction.

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.