Looking For window coil parts - Owen Corning Tilt Windows

A quick learner from Minneapolis says:
Looking for parts for our old windows - Owen Corning from 2001. The coil springs of several windows are breaking.
The pivot shoe dimensions : 1 1/4 , 1 1/2 and 7/8.
The number on the pivot shoe is 9.
The number on the coil is 10.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Coil Side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Coil.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Coil Parts.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to us. We don't sell your exact pivot shoe but we do have a few options for you to consider. The first would be the 15-192. This uses the S170 and S171 coil springs but note the aligners on the front of the face may need to be shaved off. Just keep in mind, altered items cannot be returned for a refund.

The 15-259 which uses the S159 coil springs would be the second option. The video below will go over all the details you'll need. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions! 

Thank you for the quick reply. What coil within S170, should I be looking at. 409? As I mentioned my current coil has a number 10 on it, and the shoe has number 9 on it. I am not sure what either numbers mean. Thanks again for your help.
Profile picture of Emily

The number code stamped on the spring often indicates the weight but it doesn't match up with the Series 170 and Series 171 weight codes. Can you weigh the window sash on a scale and tell me the precise weight? I can confirm the proper spring weights from there. 

Sorry, it took a while to measure the weights. We have two different window sizes. One window weighs 10.8 and the coils on those have 408 stamped on them. The other window weighs 13.6 lbs and the coil in it says 10, and the shoe number is 9.
I am guessing both of them are different coils. Please let me know what coils should I be buying.
Profile picture of Emily

If your window weighs 10.8 pounds, I would recommend one S170-405 5-pound spring on both sides of the window. This would total 10 pounds of overall support which should be fine for you as long as the coil weights are within a pound of the sash's actual weight. However, it is important to note that the 408 code on the spring matches the S170-408 8-pound spring. If you're confident the window weighs 10.8 pounds then one S170-405 5-pound spring on both sides of the window is the way to go. 

As for the 13.6-pound sash, you can use one S170-407 7-pound spring on both sides of the window which will total 14 pounds of overall support. 

Thank you. That's what confuses me. Yes, the stamp on the coils is 408 and the window weight doesn't match to what it should be. Would it be an issue if we go with 8lb coil balances vs. 5 lb balances ?
Profile picture of Emily

Have you ever had trouble with this window opening and closing? If it's been operating the whole time without an issue then I don't see why you couldn't stick with the original 408 stamped 8-pound springs. However, if you were to use the 8-pound springs when your window actually weighs 10.8 pounds, it would be too strong and you'd have trouble opening and closing it. You can always double-check the sash weight if you'd like to play it safe. 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.