Looking for replacement crank

A home owner from Chilmark, Massachusetts says:

I have a broken crank operator for a casement window. It's marked Hope's and has the numbers 5896 and A901 on it. One part of the screwplate for attaching it is broken off. Is there a replacement part that will work for me? Thank you. I am attaching a photo.

Thank you!

Suzanne

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7858.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! It does appear that the 39-045 may be the replacement operator needed for your window. To confirm if this will work for you, you'll need to confirm the measurements as shown on the diagram below. Especially the installation hole measurements.

Dimensions for 39-045
Dimensions for 39-045

I don't think the measurements for the holes match up. My unit has only two installation holes (one on each side) and they appear to be about 4.25 inches from center to center.

Thanks for confirming. The next closest replacement recommendation is the 39-354 Hope Operator. This operator has an installation hole spacing measurement of 4-1/8". Compare the dimensions to you operator to determine if this might be a better replacement. This part is only available in the aluminum color.

Alternate image for 39-354
Alternate image for 39-354

Side profile view with measurements
Side profile view with measurements

Thank you for your quick reply. The 4-1/8"between the attachment holes is correct. The arm on my broken unit, however, is 9.5" long rather than 9". I'm thinking this still might work. Would you agree?

It's too bad about the color, but I can live with it!

The difference in the measurement shouldn't make much of a difference. You should be able to adjust the track in the window to compensate for the missing 1/2". 

I do apologize that we cannot provide this to you in the bronze color.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Thank you. I have ordered the part.

I'm happy to help!

Please feel free to reach out with any future hardware questions.

Hi Jasmine!

I received the new crank and the screw holes are the correct distance apart, but there are some problems. The screws are smaller in diameter than the original ones, so they do not grip the frame of the window. I have one of the old screws, and it does not quite fit into the new crank unit. I am attaching photos. The rusty screw is the original screw, and the shiny one came with the Swisco replaceent unit.

A secondary issue seems to be a design flaw in the unit. This may not be fatal but it's annoying. The curve of the crank holder is so close to the hole that the screw cannot be screwed in all the way. Images 7969 and 7979 show this: 7969 shows where the paint rubbed off when I tried to screw it in, and 7970 shows the screw fully inserted into the hole.

I'm primarily looking for an answer to my first question. Do you have a thought about how to firmly attach this unit to my casement?

Thank you, Suzanne
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7966.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7967.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7968.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7969.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7970.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

The mounting screws that come with the 39-354 Hope replacement operator is a #10-24 X 3/8" long screw. Looking at your photos your screw could be a #12 diameter screw possibly a 12-24 X 3/8" long screw. You will need to purchase that at a hardware store in your area. As for the smaller holes in the operator, You will need to drill out the holes a little larger and file down the side of the operator body so the screw head won't hit.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, Dave. This is helpful. I did find a screw that does the trick, and when I have a little more time I till try what you suggest to make it a bit more weather tight.

Suzanne
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm happy to help! Please feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.