Need Replacement Handles for Exterior of Sliding Doors

A home owner from Chicago / Turks and Caicos says:

I have been told that these are Lawson Hurricane Guard sliding glass doors. As you can see from the pictures, when the house was built they did not order or install the correct exterior handles as the screen doors are not able to close. Please help me to identify the correct exterior door hardware so I can replace them with what is correct.

The Home is located in Turk and Caicos but I live most of the year in the Chicago area.

Thank you,

Jeff

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sliding Door - Handle issue with Screen.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sliding Door - Inside Measurement.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sliding Door - Outside Measurement.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sliding Door Closed - Inside view.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sliding Door Closed - Outside view.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us, Jeff. I'm afraid we aren't familiar with these doors so we don't know what hardware they were designed to use. For all we know, the handle is the right hardware, and it's the door itself that's wrong. We really can't say, unfortunately. We recommend contacting the original manufacturer of the door for clarity. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Can you tell me if in your opinion, Outside Pull Product Code: 82-042 would work to replace what is currently in the pictures. The measurements seem to match the 3 15/16 holes. Also, if I order the pulls, can I order the #8-32 threaded screws from you? I know they are not included but would be willing to order some separate.
Thank you,

Jeff
Also, please provide me the depth of Outside Pull Product Code: 82-042. I need to know if I will have the clearance when the screens slide past.

Thank you,

Jeff
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Jeff. Emily isn't here today but I will do my best to help.

Looking at your photos I can tell you right off the bat that 82-042 isn't going to have the clearance you need to close your screen door. This sticks out from the door about the same distance as a more standard handle, maybe a little less. Your screen door, meanwhile, looks almost completely flush with the glass door. It's possible I'm being thrown off by the perspective of the photo but unless you can find an exterior handle that's totally flush with the door, you're going to be in trouble.

That's a problem in and of itself: we don't sell a flush exterior handle and those aren't all that common to begin with. I agree with Emily's assessment: something went very wrong with the installation of these doors. Either someone picked the wrong screen door or the wrong patio glass door and just left it as-is. Or, the door was just repaired at some point in the past using the wrong hardware.

I agree that your best bet in this case is to try to get in touch with the original manufacturer. If you're lucky, then you're looking at the second scenario: someone repaired this door using the wrong parts, so all you need to do is get the hardware that was specifically meant to go with this setup. The manufacturer should be able to help you with that.

If you're unlucky, then everything is wrong top to bottom and you may be looking at the possibility of having to buy new doors altogether.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.