Need a New Channel Balance for a Viking Window (Circa 1988).

A quick learner from Saint Helens, Oregon says:

I need to purchase a replacement channel balance for a Viking window. It was installed when the house was built, in 1988.

The nylon attachment atop the channel balance on the right side of the window (as you stand facing it) broke. The spring inside the channel balance broke too.

The channel balance measures 29" long by 5/8" deep by 1/4" wide.

I have attached photos showing the channel balance (stamped with #28400). The the number stamped on the lower window frame is #5 1889). The number stamped on the upper window frame is #421 89. I attached photos showing the broken nylon attachment and broken spring, and the corresponding attachment on the other side of the window.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Thank you,

Bill

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230625_120956.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230701_132214.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230701_132249.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230701_132725.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230702_121656.jpg
Here are some additional photos.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230625_121014.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230625_121057.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230701_132241.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230701_132533.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230702_121706.jpg
Cell phone number is 971.225.8616
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Many Viking Windows use the Series 395 Channel Balance. This balance has a top fitting with wings, or 'side tabs', and a bottom fitting that lacks them. See the images below for reference. To be safe I'd recommend checking an undamaged balance just to ensure the top fitting indeed has wings. If so, then you'll need specifically an S395-29 with a stamp option of 2840. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Close up view of the S395 balance top.
Close up view of the S395 balance top.
Close up view of the S395 balance shoe.
Close up view of the S395 balance shoe.

Thank you for responding so quickly. And on a Sunday too!

Can you look at this photo of the top piece on the channel balance on the opposite side of the window? Does it look chipped? Does it look like it needs to be replaced too?

Also, does it look like the one you describe?

Please advise.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230702_121656.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

No problem at all! That's why we're here. No, the top fitting doesn't necessarily look damaged or chipped to me in this photo. These fittings all come with slightly different designs, and I'd chalk that 'ridge' on top to that. Unless the performance of the balance seemed rough or uneven, then I wouldn't worry about it. 

Unfortunately I can't tell whether this fitting has wings or not from this photo; they're obscured by the rest of the sash. Again though, if you check and see the fitting has those side tabs, then the Series 395 should be what you're looking for. Let me know if you have further questions! 

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.