Need help identifying part, reason for damage, and way to prevent reoccurrence

A quick learner from Portland OR says:
My main issue is that the left balance has disconnected from the sash because of a tear in the sash catching on the metal clip of the balance's cord. Over time, the window would catch and become difficult to close, until I e day, it was forced closed, snapping the metal clip off of the balance. When the new balance is installed, it can't be placed in the same hole in the sash, but lowering the location of the balance also lowers the location of the window lock, which is already out of alignment.

My questions are: Which balance part number do I need to replace this window (there are several with the number 3140)? What might have caused the "catching" of the window in the first place (we bought the house last year, it's 17 years old and we're the second owners)? Will moving the balance connection to the lower hole solve the problem, or should the sash be repaired/replaced (I don't want to have to go through this again in a couple of years)?

We have several windows in our house with varying issues, but most appear to be balance related. They were originally Empire Pacific Windows and had a lifetime warranty, but we aren't the original owners, so we can't reach out for assistance through them. I appreciate your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230605_102511~2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230605_102251.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230605_102303.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230605_102916.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230605_103145.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we would need to see both fittings and the pulley clip of an undamaged balance fully removed from the window to confirm the correct replacement. In the meantime, I am going to forward your photos to one of our senior experts to see what they would recommend regarding the damage to your window frame. Thank you! 

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

First, I would recommend removing the bottom sash to check if the top sash guides are broken or missing. Pacific Windows normally use the 18-171 sash guide. Second, you'll need to repair the damaged hole for the balance hook to connect to the window track. At that point, you can install the 16-004 balance retainer. Normally these fittings are rivetted to the frame but since you have a vinyl frame, we suggest purchasing a #8 Truss head screw long enough to go through the vinyl frame and into the wood frame for additional support.

As Casey mentioned, we can't confirm the correct balance replacement while yours is still installed. With that being said, you can start by reviewing the S350-32 with 3140 strength options since this was the balance most commonly used in your windows. Take a look and see what you think. 

Alternate image for 18-171
Alternate image for 18-171

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

detail of 16-004
detail of 16-004

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.