Need replacement, reads 28 but measures 30"

A home owner from Wisconsin says:
Hello,

After doing a lot of research regarding a replacement for the window balance I have, I ordered the 29" balance reading 28hd. They were an inch short, and after remeasuring them, they were actually 30" but the stamp on it reads 28hb bsl (28hb, not 28hd). Not sure this makes a difference but I'm frustrated and don't understand why it measures 30 and says 28. I'm wanting to order the next size up but am worried it will also be incorrect. It looks exactly like the old with the style, just an inch short. Please help, thanks.

Marissa
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F57E4997-C1AE-4E6A-A525-FF97AE835021.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0D8FB1CF-B9DE-451F-B304-7BDB4462540E.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Marissa. 

That stamp is quite weird. A stamp that begins with a '28' usually indicates a balance that is 29" long, not 30". Can you double-check that length? You can always weigh your sash to determine the appropriate spring strength option. There's a chart on the Series 751's product page that shows you which option you'll need based on the weight of your sash.

If your sash weight differs from our given weight options on the chart, we can look into a custom option. 

A home owner from Wisconsin says:
Hello Emily,

I remeasured my old one (just the metal) and it's showing 30" and just a bit, about 1/8 inch to be exact? I weighed my window sash when I ordered the first ones and it was 24lbs I believe, so those appear sufficient to hold that weight in the "HD" category. The only thing is that they were an inch shorter than the old one.

Having said that, would the ones that I bought first (29") be fine, given that they would hold the weight? Or would you recommend I buy the 30"? Not sure whether the length itself makes the most difference, the weight, or if they really have to be both. Could the 29" ones work as long as both sides are replaced to be the same and it supports the weight? Thanks for all your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you so much for your patience while we looked into this.

I just have a few questions before I recommend moving up to the S751-30. The balance you received, does the balance channel overall size match besides the length? Does the balance knife shoe also match? If so, then go up to our S751-30 with a 29HD spring weight. The spring sash weight will hold between 22-28 lbs. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.