Paella window balance springs

A home owner from 21742 says:
Hello,

I hope you're having a nice day.

I'm looking to replace the balance springs on the Pella windows, but I don't know where to go to find them.

The contractor told me these were good quality windows, but the spring broke on the first time I tried to open any of the windows.

I didn't bother calling the contractor back because clearly they were either installed incorrectly or were really low quality in the first place, or both.

If you have something that would work, I would be willing to try it out. If it fails again, the windows are going to be replaced.

I'm interested in a couple of sets of higher quality replacement springs, if you can provide some.

If you don't have anything, my only choice might be to replace the entire window and sash.

Thanks for your help, have a wonderful day!

Steve.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16980823354936584540208916520850.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16980823747563272282872270293620.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1698082397719630810583554289139.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Steve.

Thanks for reaching out to us. You shouldn't have to replace the window if the balances are all that's broken. In order to help, I will need to see a photo of the pivot shoe removed from the window track. That will allow me to identify the compatible balance hardware. If there aren't any cutouts in the window already then you will need to make one as shown in the video below. Could you also weigh the window sash and tell us the precise weight?

A home owner from 21742 says:
Thanks for your help! When I put the window and out it weighs 7 lb 3.75 Oz. It looks like I also need a latching mechanism for latching the sash into the frame. Thanks again for your help, have a wonderful day!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231024_225020.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231024_225016.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231024_225014.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231024_225008.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231024_222955.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

This reminds me of our 15-251 that uses the Series 160 coil springs. Note that it looks like your balance is stamped 4.5 which indicates the spring weight. One 4.5-pound spring on each side of the window is meant to support a sash weighing 9 pounds which would be too strong for the sash weight you've given. You could always double-check the sash weight if you wanted to be safe. However, with a 7-pound sash, you can use one S160-3 3.5-pound coil spring on each side of the window. This will total 7 pounds of overall support. 

As for the tilt latch, start by taking a look at the 26-464. Review the specifications and see how they compare with yours.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.