Patio door roller

A home owner from Mechanicsville, VA says:
I need two of these rollers for an older sliding patio door. I have looked through the items you stock and I could not find one. I do not know the maker of the doors. I hope you can recognize it or have one that would work. I have attached a picture.The measurements are 1 1/2" long (not including screw), 11/16" wide, 3/4" tall. It has a nylon ball bearding wheel 1 1/4" in diameter. HELP!!! Thank you. Joe

PS: Would I be able to get the old wheel off and replace it with a new one? Is it possible to drive the old pin (axle) out?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6DA5A2CF-FA77-49AE-B791-55E465085749.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4D9D84BF-240A-40C7-B526-F74D9151CE06.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B290C891-3782-4E26-AEDC-435FFF955A22.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CAFCE2AA-D376-4502-B8E9-FEB7621AD14C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 217E2AFB-3227-47CA-9183-1D52BA00A9E7.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that your roller is not familiar to us and might not be available. Would it be possible to just replace the wheel? If so, take a look at our 81-266 wheel replacement kit. This might be your best solution to repair your door.

Thank you for responding. I was expecting the response that you gave me!

I have a couple of questions:

The wheel that you recommended to me is steel. I am replacing nylon ones. Is there any reason that you are not recommending the nylon one? Do you have a "kit" with a nylon wheel?

How is the best way to get the old axle and wheel off? Drive the old axle out or spread the housing apart? Will I be able to do either of these ways or do you have a better solution?

Thanks for you help, Joe
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Ah, sorry! I didn't get a good look at your wheel. You could use the 81-228 nylon roller with the 81-310 axle kit. To replace the axle in your roller, I suggest getting a piece of flat wood board like a 1 X 4. Lay the wood flat and drill a 1/4" hole in the board. Lay the roller placing the axle over the hole in the wood. Then take a hammer and using a 1/4" punch or a 1/4" pin like the 21-026B. Tap the axle out of the roller housing and into the hole in the wood. You might need to lubricate the your old axle if it is frozen in the wheel.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Well, there are pros and cons to each. A steel wheel will obviously hold up better, but it may be less kind to the track and could cause chips or dents over the years and with frequency of use. On the other hand, nylon rides a lot more smoothly on a track but is more likely to break, especially if the door is heavy. It's ultimately up to you. I suppose you could look at it as choosing between a dented track or a broken wheel, but only 10 years down the line.

Thank you for the instructions.

The old wheel was nylon. I guess I could use a steel wheel. The patio door is heavy. Which would you suggest that I use and does it make a difference?

Thanks.
Thanks for all of your help.

I will place an order tonight.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Great, thank you! We appreciate it. Please let us know how it works out or if you have any further questions. 

A professional from CA says:
Good metal wheels will not damage the track.
When they do go bad (which should be many years) or start dragging , replace them before damage happens.
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.