Pella Interior Screen Door Handle Removal

A quick learner from Maine, USA says:

How do I remove the interior screen door handle? See photo. I removed the round, golden Pella screw cover as suggested in other related posts, but there wasn't any screw behind it like shown in other handle examples in this forum. See closeup photo. Behind the Pella sticker was just wood, which I drilled open in an attempt to reveal the mounting screw, but there wasn't any screw. So my door handle version / mechanism must be different from others related posts. (My Pella sliding screen door is over 20 years old).

Now, I noticed that my interior screen's door handle has a flat slot on the top and bottom side. See photos. I inserted a flathead screwdriver both in top and bottom slot hoping that by pushing against them I somehow could release a retaining / compression mechanism, but haven't had any success.

Any suggestions on how to get the handle off the frame?

Thanks.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7526.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7525.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7527.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7528.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure what exactly is holding your handle to the door. These are designed to install using a single screw, which is hidden under the round label. That is the only method by which I've ever seen these attached to a door.

I've never seen a setup like yours. If I had to guess, it sounds like whoever installed this in the first place got creative, though I honestly can't say what they did. It's entirely possible that the only person who knows is the person who put it on there to begin with. All I can tell you with confidence is that this is not how this handle is meant to install. As a result, I can't really advise. At this stage you know more about it than I do.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. I've just never seen anything like this before. It's wholly unlike any other application of the 83-123 that I've seen.

A quick learner from Maine, USA says:
Yes, I seem to have a one in a million setup. They may have glued it on, although the small slots on the top and bottom seem to point to another mounting option.
I used various tools to see if I can disengage whatever is holding the handle in place, but no success. I didn't want to destroy the handle in the process, but I may have to.
Thanks for checking it out.
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, no problem. I'm just sorry I couldn't offer more insight. 

Best of luck with the rest of the project!

A quick learner from Mount Vernon Washington says:
How do I replace the broken screen door lock?
I have the new part, however I can't see where to take apart the old broken one.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3080.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3079.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3078.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! This is a very common question for this old style Pella handle. This is held to the door using only one screw, which is hidden behind that round, gold-colored Pella logo. You should be able to pop that off with a screwdriver. Once the screw is removed it should be simple to pull it off.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.