Pivot Window Repair

A quick learner from Lancaster, PA says:
I can't pull my window up. Taking the window off, it looks like the pivot bar on one side is broken. I couldn't see the pivot bar on the other side either so I don't know if there was any. I'm looking to replace the whole thing so I would like some suggestions regarding replacement parts.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named spring housing
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named coil spring housing
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named damaged pivot bar
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us! There should be a pivot bar on the other side of the window sash. I'm afraid the one shown in your first photo is too damaged to identify. Can you remove an undamaged version and show us some photos? 

Hi,

There really is no pivot bar on the other side. I can hear the broken part of the one pivot bar sliding inside the window frame but I don't know how to get it out. I thought it would just slide out after taking off the screw and tilting the window to one side but it seems to be stuck. Attached are pictures of the window frame and its two sides.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0865.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0866.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0867.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Hmm, we have a video for removing a pivot bar that is stuck but yours seems like it's pretty deep in there so it may not be too helpful. I'm afraid you'll have to try your best. 

Is there an identical window in the house? If there is, you can use that window's pivot bar as a reference. If not, the best we can offer is an educated guess such as the 26-030 and 26-226. Have a look at the specifications and see what you think.

This is from another window. Looks like a different pivot shoes from the other one. But I think the bar is the same? Do you know why this one has two square screws on top while the broken one only has one? What if I want to replace the whole thing? Is there a reference on how to do that?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Bar
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Spring
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for the additional pictures.

We do not have your exact pivot bar, but we recommend comparing the 26-226 or 26-030 to see how they match up. Review the dimensions to see how they compare to the current installation hole placement to confirm a good fit! 

If you are interested in replacing the full system, we can assist. Your original pivot shoe has been discontinued, but we recommend replacing with the 15-177 pivot shoe. Compare the dimensions below to confirm a good fit! 

Alternate image for 15-177
Alternate image for 15-177

This pivot shoe is compatible with the Series 152 coils springs. For a new cover support, please review the 15-143 bushing, 15-144 bushing cap and 15-145 support barrel. 

Both windows you show use the same pivot shoe. The main difference is that one window uses (1) coil spring on both sides while the other uses (2) on each side to support the window sash. This could be due to the weight of the window sash. 

If you need assistance with choosing the correct weighted coils, please provide the weight of the window sash to move forward. 

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

I did a quick measurement of the shoe and it seems to fit the suggested shoe. Now, I need replacement for 2 windows with weight of 10lbs and 15lbs. What would be the appropriate coil spring for them? Also, what is the purpose of the coil bushing and coil bushing cap? I watched some videos on how to replace coil balance but I don't see the bushing installed anywhere. Is there a video you can point me to?
Profile picture of Emily

For the 10-pound window, you can use one S152-5 5-pound spring on each side of the window which totals 10 pounds of overall support.

For the 15-pound window, you can use one S152-8 8-pound spring on each side of the window which totals 16 pounds of overall support. This should still be fine as long as the weights total within a pound of the sash weight. 

I'm afraid we don't have a video for these parts but the 15-143, 15-144, and 15-145 "sandwich" around the spring. The bushing cap and the barrel keep the coil spring in place. 

I think I need the jamb spreader. Does it come as a set of two for $165 or do I need to buy two for $330?
Profile picture of Emily

The 75-069 is a set so it comes with two spreaders as shown below. However, you may want to consider removing your hardware via the cut-out method. We demonstrate how to do so in the video below. 

Alternate view of 75-069
Alternate view of 75-069

I opened the sash stop and saw that there was cut already there so I guess I don't need to buy the spreader anymore. I was not sure if I could cut it properly so I was planning on just buying the spreader. Thank you for your help in identifying all the parts.
Profile picture of Emily

I'm happy I could help. I'll be here if you have any further questions; good luck with the repair! 

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.