Repairing replacement windows

A home owner from Massapequa Park New York says:
My contractor told me to see if I could get the parts to my windows. I didn't realize they had to be lifted up before i opened them and I broke a few windows. I think the metal pieces that go on the side are called valences. The number on mine is 19 7 C10S CMC. I need the plastic parts that are under the valences. Do you have the parts. There are no brand names on the window. They are about 20 years old. Please tell me you have the parts.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5023.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5025.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5026.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5027.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5031.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. It looks like you need new pivot shoes. These are the plastic block that the channel balances connect to, and from which the window sash can tilt inward from. I am confident we can replace these, but there's loads of different kinds of pivot shoes your window might use, so the best thing to do is to remove an undamaged one if possible and send us a picture, and also tell us the exact width and thickness of the shoe. With that information in hand we should be able to narrow this down for you in short order. The video below shows how to remove and replace pivot shoes. 

Thank you for your video on removing the pivot shoes. I will let my contractor look at it. If I try it I will make it worse. Will I be able to order a few of them and the metal valance rod?

Thank you.
Christine
Profile picture of Bob

We may be able to assist you with the balances, as well, but we will also have to see that removed and in undamaged condition, same as the shoe. I specifically need to see a clear picture of the top end, bottom end, and whatever hook or clip is at the end of the cord. 

The Channel balance is 20 long. I couldn't get it out and I didn't want to wait for my contractor so I took some pictures. I hope these will help. If you can't figure it out I will have to wait until my contractor comes back. ( I should live that long) . I think it might be 20 inch 765 series.

I tried to get pictures of the pivot shoes. Maybe you can make it out. There are so many but with your trained eye you might pick it up right away. Without taking the pivot shoe out it seems to be about 2 inches high and and maybe 8/16 thick. Not sure if I measured that right. I am going to send some pictures. More than 5 so please keep looking on this email chain.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5037.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5038.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5039.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5040.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5041.JPG
Pictures 5042-5047
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5043.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5044.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5045.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5046.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5047.JPG
Last two pictures
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5048.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5049.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks! I agree, with these photos in hand I do think the Series 765 is similar in design. I can't quite make out the bottom hook but as long as it's the same style then you should be okay.

I don't think your old pivot shoe is made at all anymore. One possible modern alternative could be our 15-046, but ultimately you will need to measure it to verify that it's the same size. The most important dimensions here are width and thickness, which in the case of our product are 1-1/4" x 1/2". As long as yours is the same size then it should function perfectly well as an alternative, even if the design might be different.

Alternate image for 15-046
Alternate image for 15-046

Dear Bob,
I finally got my glass man to take the broken window out. He sees the pivot shoe but doesn't know how to get the pivot shoe out to measure it. He says there should be a separation on the window so that the pivot shoe can slide out. Can you please tell me how to get this pivot shoe out so I can measure it and buy the parts I need to fix the window. I am sending pictures of it.
Thank you for all your help, Of course I just watched the video that you sent me. So if there is no cut out like he says then I need a jam spreader?

Please advise,
Chris
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5137.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5138.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5139.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

Sure thing, Chris. If there is no cutout made in the window then you can just make one. That video I linked to above explains exactly how this can be done. I find this method to be a lot easier (and more cost effective) than using jamb spreaders.

Bob,
I am still working to repair my window. I borrowed window jamb spreader from a friend . I took out the pivot shoe that was broken. I think you were right that the 15-046 would work for me. I am adding photo's for you to see. I was afraid to take out a good pivot shoe so I took out the broken one. Can you give it your best professional opinion if I could use the 15-046 to fix my window. I will attach the pictures that I took out of the broken one. The broken pivot shoe is 1/2 inch thick. It is about 1 4/16 inches wide and the length was the hardest because at the time I threw out the pieces when it broke. The part that I have is 1 1/2 long but I think there was more to the original that broke. Please advise . Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5165.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5158.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5159.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5160.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5161.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

If your shoe is 1/2" thick and 1-1/4" wide, then I am very confident that our 15-046 is what you want. Height is not relevant for these, just width and thickness. As long as those are the same then you should be good to go!

HI Bob,
Thank you so much for all your help. I am going to buy a few pivot shoes to begin with and if my contractor says they work them I will buy more just in case they discontinue them.

Thanks,
Chris
HI Bob,
It's me again. I think we figured out that the 20 inch 765-20 series balance bar would be the one I would need for my window. When I just went to order it I noticed they are for a weight. On the side of the bar I took out of the window it said 197 CIOS CMC. Do you think that is the option 19-7 which is for 16-21 lbs? Why isn't anything easy? Give me your best guess. I know the pictures are not that good.

Thanks,
Chris
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5025.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5026.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5027.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5044.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

Your old stamp of 19 7 very likely is the same as our 19-7, yes, assuming you have the Series 765. The best way to verify is to weigh your sash and see if it falls in that range.

You mean weigh the whole window?
Profile picture of Bob

You only need to weigh the glass panel that the balances support, which is referred to as the "sash" in the industry. But yes, that is the only way to be 100% sure that our stamp will work for you. This is common and recommended practice when it comes to this kind of repair.

That said I think it's a safe bet that our 19-7 is the same as your 19-7. I don't see any evidence that would indicate its not. But we always recommend double checking these things just to be certain that you're buying the right product. It's ultimately up to you if you want to go to that extra effort.

Hi Bob,
I just want to thank you for helping me find the right parts for my window. I ordered the right parts and it worked great. Thank you so much again for your patience.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You're welcome! I'm very glad to hear that everything worked out. Please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.