Replacement Handle - Legance 3 Patio Door

A quick learner from Blair, Ne says:

Needing a replacement for the inside pull if it's available separately or the whole unit. Please let me know if any other information is needed. Thanks for the assistance.

Jon K

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1131.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1130.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1132.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Legance 3 Patio Door
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Jon. We unfortunately don't sell this inside pull by itself, but we may be able to help replace the entire set. Before I suggest anything, can you verify the distance between the two installation holes, center-to-center? I'm thinking it might be 4-15/16", but I'd like to be 100% sure before I recommend anything. Thanks!

The screws on the door edge that closes into the latch are 7 1/2"apart. On the left edge of the inside broken piece that's still attached to the door-the screws are 3 7/8" apart. The screws on the back of the handle that attach it to the plate that attaches to the door bracket at 6" apart. If more photos are needed, please let me know. thanks..
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! The hole spacing on the base of the handle is what I was most interested in. Yours is a little peculiar, though; 3-7/8" is not a common size for these "side mount" type handles.

We may still be able to help, but before I suggest anything I'd like to see a clear photo of your mortise lock removed from the door. Would that be possible? I'm chiefly interested in seeing the slot that takes the handle's thumb lever. That will allow me to narrow down your list of options and ensure that whatever handle I suggest will be compatible with that mortise, at minimum.

Hope these narrow it down.
Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1150.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1147.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1146.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1145.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1149.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

I was afraid this might be the case. I don't believe we can supply you with an exact fit for this lockset. The best option we have is our 82-081, which works the same way and is compatible with the same style of mortise, except it has a hole spacing of 4-15/16", not 3-7/8".

That hole spacing is really the dealbreaker in this scenario. I just can't find anything in this style with that spacing. Now, our 82-081 may still work for you if you're willing to drill new holes, but that's obviously not ideal. The handle base is also straight, rather than curved like your original, so the outline of the original handle may be visible after installation. Again, not ideal.

Ultimately you may want to try to get in touch with the original manufacturer to see if they can supply an exact match for your old handle set. Otherwise, while I do think our 82-081 can work for you, it's going to take drilling new holes before it will fit.

I am sorry that we couldn't offer you an easier solution for this project.

Will I also need the 82-238 mortise lock mechanism to slide into the door so that the in/out handles can attach to it. I don't have a problem drilling new holes through the door. The door has no brand name anywhere on it so I've been unable to track it down that way. This was installed by a previous owner of the home.
Profile picture of Tom

Ordinarily I would recommend the 82-238, yes, but this is also a somewhat different design to your original mortise. I'm not optimistic that it will fit in the same space, but you can review our dimensions to verify. Ultimately, if your old mortise is in good condition then I'd highly recommend that you reuse it. As long as the hole that takes the thumb lever is 7/32" square then it should be fully compatible with our 82-081.

Alternate image for 82-238
Alternate image for 82-238

Tom,
Handle is fixed! I appreciate your helpful guidance on this. You were correct in that I had to drill out the existing mortise to line up with the wider mounting holes of the new handle. The door already had the extra set of holes. Thanks again for your knowledge the quick responses.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1234.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1236.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

That's great news! I'm glad you got things working again.

Thanks again for your business, it means a lot. Please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.