Replacement Parts for Hurd Casement Windows

A quick learner says:

My house has Hurd casement wood windows from about 1993. I am in need of some replacement parts.

Firstly, I have a sash where the nylon pivot/slider has broken. Am I able to replace the hinges with this set? I did measure the track and they are 10"; part 36-048.

Secondly, I have a couple windows that need replacement crank operators. I am attaching a picture of the operator that I have.

Which of these replacement operators should I purchase? Also, how do I determine whether I need a left or right operator?

Do you have any tips and/or videos on how to replace these operators? I am assuming that the wood enclosure needs to be removed before the operator hardware is accessible.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Crank.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Crank2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Crank3.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! So long as the hinge track is 10" then the 36-048 should work very well as a replace. You'll just need to make sure to replace the top and bottom at the same time. These can be used to replace both the left and right side. You should expect the possibility of have to drill new installation holes, although, there is a chance you may not have to.

Your window operator looks like an older version of our 39-387 and its opposite handed version, 39-388. To confirm that this is the right replacement, carefully compare the dimensions. Especially the measurement for the arm. To pick between the left hand operator versus the right hand operator, you'd go by the position of the handle on the base. Is it on the left or right side? For example, first photo has the handle on the right side, which matches our 39-388.

The compatible crank handle is part 39-114L.

Dimensions for 39-388
Dimensions for 39-388

You will need to remove the sill trim to access the screws. They're way too obscured so there's no avoiding that, unfortunately. You can use a putty knife to score the trim and then pry it off with a prybar, just make sure to be gentle. Wood trim is prone to crack, therefore, a light touch is better. Take a look at the video below for reference.

Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.