Replacement Window Channel Balancers

A handy person from St. Paul Mn says:
Hello,
I have a tilt window that I am not sure of the manufacture.

The channel measures 21" long appears to not be ribbed.

On the channel is stamped K 20HD and it appears to have a balance knife lock shoe attached.
The channel was attached with one screw. inside the channel in the mounting screw area there was a mounting Screw-way

See Photos attached for images.

What balancers would you suggest that would fit my application.

Thank you!

Rick

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230621_214904.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230621_214938.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230622_063234.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230622_063340.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230622_063519.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Your channel balances look a lot like our S751-21 with the 15-014 knife lock shoe and a 20HD stamp. To determine if the shoe connected to this balance is the correct one for your balances, I would recommend comparing the design and measurements of the shoe shown below. If you are unsure, please feel free to send a picture of your shoe removed from the window.

Also keep in mind that the shoes that come installed on our standard Series 751 balance is black.

Dimensions for 15-014
Dimensions for 15-014

Hi Jasmine,
thanks for the quick reply.

The balancer I have is the NON-Ribbed type and can be removed from the jamb liner by removing the one screw at the end as shown in the attached photo.
I am wondering how to remove the Balance knife lock shoe from the channel. It appears that it is similar to 15-014.
The jamb liner is not removeable as far as I can tell. Do I need to cut a slot in the channel up near where the channel balancer is attached to the jamb liner?

It does look like I have a balancer similar 751 series with 15-014 attached.

On the inside of one of the windows there is a number 291569VS which you can see in the attached photo

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230624_155410.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230624_160501.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230624_171523.jpg

Thanks for confirming! Since you have a non-ribbed channel you will need a special order balance. The balance you'll need will have the S770-21 channel balance with the 15-014 knife lock shoe attached. To determine the stamp needed for this special order balance, I'll need to know the exact weight of the sash the balances support. I am unable to cross-reference the stamp from the existing balance, unfortunately.

To get the order link made up for you I'll also need to know the exact number of balances you intend to purchase. There is an order minimum of (2) balances per custom balance.

To remove the knife lock shoe from your channel you will need to make a cut-out in the window frame. Be sure to exercise caution when doing so. The cut-out will need to be in an area closer to the top of the window so that the window can continue to slide up and down properly, it is also best for the shoe to be retracted into the balance.

Hi Jasmine,
Sorry for the long delay- I Finally got back to the house with the window issue.

The window weight measured 11.1 lbs. I would like to have 2 custom balancers made with the S770-21 channel balance with the 15-014 knife lock shoe attached.

Thank you!

Hello,

That's okay! 

Thanks for confirming the information. I've forwarded a link with a quote for the requested balances. You'll be able to use this link to review the quote and place the order for your balances.

Be sure to check your spam/junk folder for the email if you do not find it in your primary inbox.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.