Replacement for coil balance spring

A quick learner from WV says:

I have a broken coil balance spring that has no number stamped on it. How do I find a repalcement spring for this.

Thank you

Ron

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Ron. The stamp numbers that are sometimes on the coil springs tell you essentially the weight each individual spring is designed to support, but not necessarily the identity of the springs. To know what kind, or what we call Series, of springs you need, show us the pivot shoe that the springs attach to. The pivot shoe is the piece with the metal cam from which the window sash tilts. The identity of the pivot shoe determines the identity of the coil balances. 

Now, once you know that, you'll still need to know the weight you need the coil balances to support. In lieu of any stamps on the springs, give us the exact weight of your window sash, and we can work out what you need. Thanks.

Below is the picture of the pivot shoe for the window that I need this coil for.

The weight of the sash is: 8.11

I hope I did all of this correctly.

I appreciate your help.

Ron
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D3562D49-2713-4B9B-B100-DBA036C6BFF8.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me, Ron. See our 15-192 Pivot Shoe. This certainly looks like your old shoe, minus the different cam. To be safe, can we a picture of the pivot bar your old pivot shoe's cam interacted with? Preferably removed from the window? That we can tell you whether you're safe using the same pivot bar, or if you'll need to replace them to accommodate the 15-192's different cam. 

The 15-192 is compatible with Series 170 Coil Springs. If your window weighs exactly just over 8 lbs, then two of the S170-334 4 lb Coil Springs, one for each side of the window sash, should suffice, as this will equal 8 lbs of overall support. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Profile picture of Bob

There should be a metal pin (in a few cases, it's made of nylon) that connects the window sash to that cam within the pivot shoe. This is called the pivot bar. See if you can show us that removed from the window. 

Bob,

Here is a picture of everything that came out when I removed the coil.

Thanks for your help.

Ron
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1ABFF713-A7E6-41DB-A50B-61BE3D09781C.jpeg
Could the pin you are speaking of be the nylon pin that is made as part of the piece as shown in picture .

Ron
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7FCC4F62-BE3B-4CC9-8661-12BDDB34DD02.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C9D5D9CC-19B9-48CD-B35A-CA91E097E3EE.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid those components are for the housing that goes around the coil spring itself. The pivot bar will be literal bars or pins in the bottom corners of the window sash. You can see our selection of them here for reference.

Really sorry. My wife and I are working on this together and neither of us have a clue what these parts are.

Here is a picture of the pins sticking out of the lower corner of the sash. Hope it's the right piece.

Bob, just wondering if you have found a replacement for our balance coil spring.

Thanks Ron

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D4C7BDE0-35A5-477D-9285-3C3E6FAF795A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5ACAE240-96AA-4537-A4BF-9AEF991B329A.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Ron. See our 26-040. This looks like it has a similar 'u' shape channel to your old pivot bar. Just go over the dimensions to confirm it would match the hole spacing of your old pivot bar. 

Sorry if this got lost in the shuffle of our discussion: The 15-192 is compatible with Series 170 Coil Springs. If your window weighs exactly just over 8 lbs, then two of the S170-334 4 lb Coil Springs, one for each side of the window sash, should suffice, as this will equal 8 lbs of overall support. Let me know if you have any other questions.

How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.