SGD-R35-71x80 latch part

A home owner from Lexington, Kentucky says:
Hello. I ordered and received a sliding door handle part # 82-086 white for a model SGD-R35-71x80 white sliding glass door and now I realize I need another part-the one that holds the latch mechanism. Can you tell me the correct part number?

I have the part that is attached to the wall,but I am missing the part that works with the locking mechanism.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6C740796-9AEF-45AE-A89B-9A57E8AEC862.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5978C799-31D0-4CDD-8CDA-9EE41C4891C8.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. It looks like you're missing your mortise lock. Based on the shape, I think our 82-218 is what you want, but review our dimensions to confirm that it will fit in the space available. Take a look and let me know what you think. The video below shows how to install this mortise lock. 

A quick learner says:

The video helped me install this, no problem. Thanks a bunch!!

A home owner from LexingtonKY says:

That video helped me install the mortise lock, no problem. Thanks a bunch!! 

Maybe you can help me with something else. I have a door handle that has a spindle on the lock side AND a spindle on the other side. Do you have a video that shows how to adjust these spindles so they can fit in the mortise?

Here are photos. Do I cut down both sides so that both fit into the mortise? How do I know how much to cut?

Do you have a video for this particular setup?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3A01E8CD-1BAD-4B29-BD49-B88948F44581.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us! Glad you were able to get a mortise lock to work on your door.

As for the spindles on the lock set, it depends. In my experience you rarely have to trim down the inside thumb latch, but in your case it may in fact be necessary depending on how thick your door is. There's no surefire way to know exactly how to cut these spindles right the first time. Your only option is to try them out first, try to determine which side needs cutting (or both sides, as the case may be), then cut off one notch and try again. If it's still not enough, take off another notch and try a second time, and so on.

I know that's a time-consuming process, but it's better than cutting off too much. Then you're kinda screwed, since you'd need an all new handle set. Just take it one notch at a time and eventually you'll find the right clearance. This is what I do and it's never failed me. 

The video below may be helpful. It doesn't feature the same exact handle set that you purchased, but it demonstrates how to properly cut down the same kind of spindle.

A home owner from LexingtonKY says:
Thank you for your help. I was able to do it successfully. Your videos and email and phone support have been wonderful!!
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.